Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

What advise to deal with leg, and foot cramps? Not able to…

What advise to deal...

What advise to deal with leg, butt and foot cramps? Not able to do yoga because of constant cramps.

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

Swelling only in feet. Cramps occur mostly at night and while attempting yoga poses.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No issues in history. Am taking Magnesium, but not helping.

5/15/2018
Dr. Nina Lim
Dr. Nina Lim, Board Certified MD
Hello, my name is***** I am reviewing your question and would like to know when you last had your blood work done? I am particularly interested in thyroid and vitamin D Levels.
Do you take any other meds currently?
And the cramping has been going on for how long now?
You may ignore the phone call request as this is automatically generated by the website. Thanks.
Cramping for over a year. Blood work done apprx. 2 yrs ago. Only med is spironolactone, for hair loss...(approx 9 mo.)
Thanks for the additional information - I would recommend doing a comprehensive blood work to include electrolytes - potassium, magnesium, calcium, vitamin D (vitamin D deficiency is very common and can cause muscle cramping), thyroid tests, iron levels. Spironolactone is a diuretic (water pill) and can worsen muscle cramps by causing alteration in electrolyte levels and fluid balance in the body - so very important to stay hydrated and get electrolyte levels checked.
I am open to any follow up questions that you may have; thanks.
Appreciate your advise. Actually, remember I had blood work approx. 6 mo. ago due to an infection. All normal. This hasn't been helpful, but really didn't expect it to be. Won't try this again.
I apologize but with muscle cramps, it is really essential to rule out possible medical causes before attempting to treat. That is my approach with my patients with that complaint.
As you have mentioned, you have tried the magnesium supplements without any improvement. What if the cause is vitamin D deficiency? By knowing what is off biochemically, we can target the treatment towards the cause of the symptom.
Let me know how else I can assist, thanks
I found this link to information regarding possible causes and treatment strategies for cramps- I hope it will provide more info.
https://www.healthline.com/health/pain-relief/how-to-stop-leg-muscle-cramps#exercise
Thank you for your response. Am not "mad" at all, just was hoping for some answer without waiting to see a rhuematologist in July. Will get some Vit. D tabs and be on my way. You've been very kind. I'm frustrated.
I’m so sorry. Must be so hard dealing with this for so long. Hopefully, the cause will be found and it is something that is easily reversible. Take care and stay well!
Dr. Nina Lim
Dr. Nina Lim, Board Certified MD