Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Pain in joints one leg swollen doctors have done ultra sound…

Pain in joints one...

Pain in joints one leg swollen doctors have done ultra sound x rayed hips and given pain gel and pills . i wear a knee support but now i can not reach my feet

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

None --no excepy for pain pill and co q 10 .magnesium joint pill

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No did check with vein doc says that is ok

also fluid in leg
5/14/2018
Dr. Nina Lim
Dr. Nina Lim, Board Certified MD
Hello, my name is***** and I would like to assist with your health concern. May I ask your age/ gender?
What medications are you on? Are you on a water pill already?
With regards ***** ***** they have done an ultrasound to rule out blood clots? And the blood flow to and away from the legs too?
You may ignore the phone call request as this is automatically generated by the website. Thanks.
no water pill or medication
How old are you? And you mentioned that you are wearing compression stockings already - have this helped?
Can you also share with me the results of the ultrasounds done? Thanks.
i am76 work a full time job in produ
With regards ***** ***** swelling- is it better at the beginning of the day and does it worsen towards the end of the day?
same
just said results of ultra were negative
there are two types of ultrasound- one is to check for blood clot in the veins (rule out DVT or deep venous thrombosis) and another kind of ultrasound is to check on how well the veins work in draining your legs. The valves of our veins tend to weaken as we get older causing fluid to be retained in the leg. That is why both tests would be important to do in order to help diagnose the cause of the swelling.
veign doc did one md the other
That’s good and both tests were normal. And I assume the heart is good as well since you are healthy and do not take any meds. Sometimes compression stockings may be enough to control the swelling. In some cases a water pill like lasix may be necessary to control the swelling.
Of course this is in addition to a low salt diet, weight loss if you are overweight, regular exercise; try to avoid crossing your legs as well.
I will be seeing a patient for s few minutes but I will be back online soon to answer any follow up questions you may have, thanks.
Dr. Nina Lim
Dr. Nina Lim, Board Certified MD
thank you i have lost 32 pounds but still have problems will try lower salt and compression stockings
Congratulations on your weight loss! That is amazing! Keep up the good work!
For your compression stockings, a butler might help with putting them on -
http://www.lymphedemaproducts.com/products/medi-assure-butler.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_pv1ntuF2wIV2sDICh2gLwFDEAkYDCABEgLEO_D_BwE
Good luck. If you were satisfied with my service, please consider giving me a 5 star rating as we work for stars, thanks again and all the best!