Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a question. I feel something like soft on back my…

Customer Question
Second opinion] <p>Hi, I have...
Second opinion] <p>Hi, I have a question. I feel something like soft on back my of neck. When my head move down I feel it soft but if I move my head up I dont feel anything. Is it my neck muscles?</p>
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
5/14/2018
Doctor: Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD replied 3 months ago
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD

Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani and I am here to help you today. I have 13 years of experience in the field of Health Care at a tertiary care referral hospital. I will do my level best to alleviate your health concern. I am currently reviewing your question. I will be back in a moment to guide you further.

Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

Hello... I understand your concern.I need some more information please.1. When you touch it is it firm or very soft and compressible?
2. Are you having any dandruff on the scalp or injury on the scalp after which this appeared?
3. Did you recently have any fever?
4. Is the spelling movable or immovable?
5. Are movments of the neck painful?
6. Except that you found it out, is it in anyway bothering you?
7. May I request you to upload an image of the swelling with the neck flexed forwards?
Please get back to me with the above information so that I can guide you better.Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani
1. I think it feel soft. Not hard or anything.
2. No injuries on scalp.
3.no fever.
4.i beilved is immovable.
5. No neck pain.
6. It's not bother me I just pay a lot of attenece to my body. It doesn't hurt or anything.
7. I can attached the picture. But picture dont show any swelling. It's just if I move my head down and the skin stretch then I can feel something soft.
Hi... Thank you for getting back with the requested necessary information.
From your symptom analysis and correlating it with the history that I have gathered from you I put forth these possibilities -
1. Small suboccipital lymph node.
2. Small lipoma or a subcutaneous collection of fat.
3. Fibroma or an accumulation of fibrous tissue.
All the above three conditions are very very common in general population and need not be investigated or worried about it all.
You can be rest assured that this is not going to harm you in anyway or that it is related to a pathological process.
I suggest that it is an incidental finding and you need not be worried about at all."If you need more help, please reply to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, your 5-star rating at this time is greatly appreciated".
the lipoma or fat will feel it with finger when I press or touch it?
you can feel a lipoma, which is an encapsulated fat mass with your finger and it will be soft to touch and compressible.

Hi, just checking in to see how things are going. Do you need further assistance?

I will be glad to be of assistance to you if you have any further questions in this health regard please

Kind regards – Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Hi, is it normal that the lipoma or fat mass on my neck can feel it with my finger? But if I move my head like up I didn't feel it.
Hi... It is very much possible because when you extend your neck, the back of your neck will become more relaxed and the lipoma will get embedded and you may not be able to feel it.When you flex your neck the back of your neck will become extended and the lipoma will become more prominent and you will be able to feel it.
Oh I see. That's is exactly how I felt
Hi... That is the exact reason why I told you that you need not worry about it at all.
As you have admitted that you are more concerned about your health and body, I feel that you should get yourself down on your health anxiety. I am sorry to say this but I have to guide you as a Health Care professional.
I again reassure you that you are perfectly healthy and this small swelling is nothing pathological.Please put out your Healthcare anxiety and calm yourself down and first start self suggesting yourself that you are a perfectly healthy individual.Is there anything else where I can be of assistance to you regarding this swelling in the Nape of neck please.Best regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani
Is lipoma is normal to human?
Lipoma is an extremely common fat encapsulation and it is very very common in humans and many times it need not be treated unless for aesthetic purposes.

"If you need more help, please reply to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, your 5-star rating (this is the only way we professionals get credited for our time and professional effort) at this time is greatly appreciated".