Edgar Rubio Villegas
Edgar Rubio Villegas, Doctor
Experience:  Doctor with 9 years of experience in family medicine, pediatrics, sexually transmitted diseases, dermatology, gynecology, general surgery and traumatology
99147888

I smashed my left index finger 4 1/2 weeks ago. It has been

I smashed my left index finger 4 1/2 weeks ago. It has been numb until about 1 1/2 weeks ago. Now the slightest pressure feels like a nail is being pound into it at the lateral aspect of the proximal part of the distal phalanx for about 45 seconds and then it lets up. An x-ray looks like there is a slight end plate disruption at that location. 1) What are the chances this will heal without surgery and without complication?
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Any other symptoms?
Customer: 4 1/2 weeks and no other syptoms
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no

Hello, I´m Dr. Rubio

Welcome a JustAnswer and thank you for your question.

Please give me a minute to review your question.

Can you send me the X-ray image?

how old are you?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I can send by text or e-mail. Can I have either one from you? I am a 54 y/o white male Chiropractor.

Yes. I can send by text or e-mail. Can I have either one from you? I am a 54 y/o white male Chiropractor.

you can send it and attach it to a photo, in the newsroom window there is an icon to attach documents or images..

or to***@******.***

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I cannot find the newsroom window icon

send it to me by mail, and notify me when it does.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Just sent the pics of the x-rays and cc'd my email as well.

I already received it. Allow me a moment while I evaluate it.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry about the picture quality. I'll try to get better ones

Don't worry, all the images are from the same day?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
just resent individual images

Dear friend, in effect you have a transverse fracture that does not displace the base of the finger f3, the good thing is that it is not displaced but you do need a recovery time, the minimum recovery time is 8 weeks for the bone to be stable and healthy.
This is why it is still swollen and normal, after that 8 week bone healing process you should allow your finger to regain its strength and confidence, which could take another 4 weeks more.
For all the things I've mentioned, it's perfectly normal that you still have some sensation on your finger when you stimulate it, but you should be careful not to make any effort with your finger.
I attach the image of the fracture to you

Do you have any question?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My finger was smashed while moving a scaffold. The 300 lbs person on the scaffold decided to shift their weight and slammed the entire scaffold into the side of an RV with my finger in between. Question: Should it be stabilized? What would be the best type of stabilizer?

For this type of fracture and this type of bone it is not necessary to stabilize it, as indicated by a digital splint, it is sufficient and 100% safe.
If the fracture were displaced, the option would be another behavior that includes surgical fixation.
But in your case, the fixation is not indicated.

Any other doubt?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That's what I was thinking until it really started hurting the past week. My concern is that if there is no blood supply to it there may be necrosis. Do you think there is adequate blood supply to it for complete healing?

totally, this is what we call the metaphysis of the bone, it is an area with excellent vascularization so I would not be alarmed if it is due to any alteration of the vascular supply.

The alterations of the vascular contribution are more frequent in elderly people or people with metabolic diseases not controlled as diabetes or suffering from hematological disorders.

In your case you should not be alarmed because your bone quality evaluated on x-rays looks excellent, the pain is the result of the consolidation process that is occurring there.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Excellent! Thank you for your advice and prompt attention. Have a great day!

if you have any query, please feel free to ask. I hope this information will be helpful.

Your satisfaction is my goal. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen so that I can get the credit for helping you.

I wish you a speedy recovery.

Any feedback to improve our service and know the quality of care will be well received and appreciated by our team.

Greetings.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no phone call necessary, thanks.

ok.