Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Several years ago I took the lifescreening tests. They said…

Customer Question
Several years ago I...

Several years ago I took the lifescreening tests. They said I had an aortic aneurysm. Went to my doctor tests showed I had a huge hiatal hernia. Now 10 years or more later I have heart rates up to 204. There is no consistency. I wore a heart monitor for 60 days. Nothing happened. One week after removal. Had a big dinner bent over to get my puppy and it triggered an attack. I’ve been trying to pay a lot of attention to when and what brings these on. The first one was in spring when I was just standing at a counter waiting for my friend to get dressed and pay for her purchases. June 2017 I was driving and had just finished a nutrisystem double chocolate bar heart rate was 191 and lasted 1 minute 19 seconds. I should mention I got vertigo February 17, 2016 and still have it. The first attack was pre vertigo though. March 28 this year was walking into a restaurant sat down and heart rate went soaring. The incident before this husband sand I drove up to Michigan to casino and my heart rate stayed 191 for over 2 hours. After seeing doctor started taking Claritin for allergies and currently since March 28 have not had an incident. Had also thought that it may have something to do with hernia. Maybe eating put pressure on heart The casino episode we had stopped and got breakfasts sandwiches at Panera. So when I walk even from room to room my heart rate goes from 74 to up to 102. I am afraid to work out. I have reduced food intake which is a good thing. But even half and order of lasagna scarred me because I get a choke in my throat.

Doctor's Assistant: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?

Resting heart rate is 64. This minute it is 76. Yesterday I had a high of 139 and a low of 76

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Just that before this I was very active. Exercising weight training Running with our pups. Now I ride a station bike 10 minutes at most because I am afraid

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Medical
5/2/2018
Doctor: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 2 months ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

Hello. Thank you for your patience. I am so sorry for the long wait, but I have been busy taking care of patients and have just now come online. Would you like my help with your question today?

I was charged $34 for your service so I guess I’d like a reply

have you had any tests for this yet?

blood work?

heart monitor?

As I WROTE the last heart monitor last year for 60 days with no episodes. When woke up with blinding vertigo hospital did tests to verify no stroke or heart attack. Couple weeks ago ultrasound No aortic aneurysms. Blood work every 6 months. Take lovastin 40mg for cholesterol and 25mg hydrochlorizide for BP

I meant a monitor where they actually captured the rhythm

never had one?

What would the heart monitor that relayed results to a cardiologist have done if not caught the rhythm. I am confused

Caught an episode of the rhythm issue you are having. I was wondering if another monitor had ever been done but I assume not.

this is clearly some type of arrhythmia. Did anyone check blood work? thyroid?

Did they recommend an implantable recorder that monitors the heart rate for 6 months to a year?

I take levothyroxine 125mg. Thyroid was removed in 2008. No one has said anything that’s why I tried this for some direction. Go to a heart specialist Or an allergist specialist or an eye ear nose specialist. Or all three. I have always had lousy results with doctors. Went to bone doctor said I had arthritis in my wrist went to arthritis doctor said I had carpal tunnel. So on and so on

I'm sorry you had such bad care.

The thyroid could be totally off and that is what is triggering it.

But you really need to capture this rhythm

it could be a fib or another serious rhythm

I would recommend a 48 hour holter monitor and if this doesn't catch it then an implantable loop recorder

is this helpful?

That holster monitor is the monitor I wore for 60 days and had no episode

Right but that device only detects the rhythm if you push a button correct?

No it detected everything 24 hours a day

Ok. Then the only way to catch it is with an implantable recorder

I would do this and the blood work

is this helpful?

Not really thanks

Ok

good luck