Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have arthritus in my thumbs since yesterday my left hand…

Customer Question
I have arthritus in...

I have arthritus in my thumbs since yesterday my left hand has been so sore i cant use it. i went to bed at 10, but cannot sleep because it hurts so badly, is swollen and warm what can i do to relieve the pain?

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? In general, how would you describe your health lately?

Nothing. general health is good

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have lots of arthritis in my back. my thumbs are always sore, but not like this

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/2/2018
Doctor: Dr Su S, Doctor(MD) replied 2 months ago
Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)

Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S
I will try my best to help you.
I will answer in a moment/request for further information.

How old are you? Male/ Female?
Since when are you having the symptom?
Do you have any other symptom?
Any other past illness?
Did you take any medicine?

73 female
yesterday
no
none recent
yes

Which medicine did you take?

Thank you for the input.
I am very sorry for your symptoms.
The symptoms sound like arthritis.
However you will need tests to determine the type of it.
The commoner ones are osteo, rheumatoid, gout etc.
Autoimmune conditions can be there.
I would advise to consult doctor & have tests to determine the precise type.
Specific treatment then can help.
Other probables are tenosynovitis.
You can apply warm moist compress now.
Analgesics with antiinflammatory actions like motrin or naproxen can be taken.
You need to take it after meal to avoid gastric irritation.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
Your satisfaction is my goal.
If you are happy with my answer please click on 5 star rating so that I can get the credit for helping you.
Wish you healthy life.
Regards.

I have osteo arthritis I can’t take anything for pain because I have kidney failure - stage 3. I’ll try moist compress.

Yes, in kidney disease, you should not take those.
Please try warm compress.