Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My 22 yr old son works in a mill and must wear ear buds all…

Customer Question
My 22 yr old...

My 22 yr old son works in a mill and must wear ear buds all the time due to noise. Now, he has a clear fluid running out his ears. The fluid crusts over. His ears itch and are painful. He does not have insurance so can not go to a doctor. Is there something that might help that he can get OTC?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the ear issue? Have you had any colds or flus recently?

No, on the colds or flu, he is very healthy, He has been working at the mill about 4 months, and so wearing the plugs that long, and it started about a month after he began there.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No, except that this is really bothering him

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/2/2018
Doctor: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 2 months ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

do you have a picture?

No, I am sorry

can you get one for me?

no, I would just like suggestions on what is causing this and OTC ideas please

Very likely this is something called seborrheic dermatitis

it is very common in young men

I would recommend he use selsun blue shampoo in the ears during a shower daily

it should take care of it

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question).

We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

He will try that, but why would the ear plugs cause that? And is there some OTC medication drop that can go in the ear and soothe it and perhaps dry up some of the fluid?

The condition is caused by an overgrowth of normal skin fungi

the ear buds increase moisture and help them grow

that makes perfect sense, I thank you for that Doctor. Any OTC drops to dry and sooth?

No just the shampoo

nothing much else will work