Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have had hard swelling by both of my ears and jaw. It

I have had hard...

I have had hard swelling by both of my ears and jaw. It doesn’t hurt but it feels swollen when I chew or talk. Is this something I should be concerned with?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the ear issue? Have you had any colds or flus recently?

I have had really bad allergies and swelling in my eyes. Once the swelling in my eyes started going away my lower and upper jaw by my ears started to swell.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No. I’m allergic to penicillin and amoxicillin but I’m not on either of those.

4/30/2018
Dr. Greg
Dr. Greg, Board Certified MD

Hello, My name is***** am a board certified physician, and would be happy to help you with your health concern. Please give me a few minutes to read, and respond to your question.

I'm sorry to hear that you are suffering from swelling of the ears and jaw. The description of the swelling is most consistent with a allergic reaction. To treat this, I would recommend that you purchase and start taking Allegra, Claritin, or Zyrtec twice daily. Additionally, I would recommend Benadryl taken before bedtime. This combination of daytime and nighttime antihistamines can help to reduce the swelling over the next few days.

If your swelling does not improved by Wednesday, I would recommend that you see your doctor or go to a local urgent care to be treated. The other potential cause of your swelling is a skin infection called cellulitis. You hare having pain with swelling, I would be more concerned about an infection. If the swelling is not painful, that is a good sign.

Please let me know if I can answer any additional questions for you.

Dr. Greg
Dr. Greg, Board Certified MD
Thank you so much! You have been of great help!

You're welcome. I sincerely ***** ***** this resolves soon. Take care.

Dr. Greg