Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I’m debating going to a medclinic. I’ve been getting random…

Hi. I’m debating going...

Hi. I’m debating going to a medclinic. I’ve been getting random sharp pain in my upper arm on the inside area, maybe 2-3 inches below my armpit. It’s been happening off and on for about a week. I also have consistent pain in my shoulder and neck on that side and am getting some numbness in the outside of my hand and up the side of my face

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this issue? Any other skin concerns?

It’s been about 7-10 days. I’ve gotten a couple random blisters on my neck on the side but I think they’re cycstic acne potentially

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have a genetic predisposition to aneurisms and have a lot of health anxiety about it

4/30/2018
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I see you have been having symptoms as you have described above. And I also see you have a genetic predisposition for aneurysms and having lot of health anxiety about it.

I assume you meant brain aneurysm, if you are concerned your symptoms could be secondary to brain aneurysm, then I want to inform and reassure you, the symptoms and the symptom patterns you have been having are not at all pointing towards the possibility of any brain aneurysm in you

First of all it is a ruptured brain aneurysm that causes symptoms on most occasions, when an aneurysm ruptures the following various symptoms are expected;

Severe excruciating headaches (as if the worst headache of life)

Vomiting

Fainting

Passing out

Paralysis of limbs on one side of the body

Facial drooping on one side of the body

Double vision

Confusion disorientation

Decreased level of consciousness

Loss of consciousness/coma

Seizures etc

Not all of the above symptoms may occur in the same patient but many of the above symptoms are expected to occur in a patient with ruptured brain aneurysm

But you are not having the above mentioned types of symptoms so this definitely rules out ruptured brain aneurysm in you

And non-ruptured brain aneurysm too is not expected to cause the type of symptoms you have been having.

So your symptoms are certainly not secondary to brain aneurysms.

Once again I can very categorically reassure you, your symptoms are certainly not due to ruptured or non-ruptured brain aneurysms, if these symptoms persist then please try to see your clinic dr and undergo a thorough further evaluation, but there is no need to visit any emergency room or urgent care center etc now since these symptoms are not at all indicative of any serious health issues including related to brain aneurysms too, so please not to be scared.

Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & professional effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. Rating me now will not close your question and if you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

For future questions you can follow up either here, or you can reach me directly with "a question for Dr Subbanna MD" through my Just Answer direct link mentioned below here;

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsubbannamd

I’m predisposyioned to aortic aneurysms. I guess it makes me afraid the pain that throbs randomly in my arm is an artery or such that could burst bc it hurts so bad so unexpectedly. Idk why my shoulder is hurting so much- I assume I have a vertebrae in my cervical area punching a nerve and that’s why I’m getting tingly down my hand and arm. But the pain is in my neck, shoulder, and inside of my upper arm. I am having trouble even sleeping bc it hurts so much and I can’t find a way to be comfortable.

I appreciate for these additional information. I am typing now, I will follow up very soon.

There’s a radiating cold burning feeling in my shoulder and collarbone area. And then a pain right at the base of my skull just left of my spine as we

I appreciate for this additional information too. I am typing now, I will follow up very soon.

Please see, your symptoms are not indicative of any kind of aneurysms including aortic aneurysms too

The types of symptoms you have been having may indicate some minor irritation of the nerves in the neck and/or shoulder region

This can occur due to muscle spasm in these regions

Some nerves pass through or under some muscles and when these muscles undergo spasm then the nerves too develop irritations and this can cause symptoms

But such irritation is not permanent in nature; rather it is temporary and reversible in nature

Even health anxiety can trigger the onset of various symptoms they appear secondary to some underlying health conditions but these are not representative of any health issues.

The following therapeutic measures can help in getting relief from these symptoms;

Adequate rest

Stretching exercises to the neck and shoulder muscles

Hot and/or cold compressors

Eposm salt compress

Over the counter pain meds

Over the counter pain relieving creams such as biofreeze or myoflex

Over the counter essential oil rubs etc

If the above do not help sufficiently then the following additional treatments may be required;

A course of prescription meds such as the following;

One of the nerve pain pills such as Gabapentin or Pregabalin

One of prescription NSAID pain killers such as Tramadol or Diclofenac

One of the muscle relaxants such as Tizanidine or Baclofen etc

A course of Physical therapy etc

As mentioned earlier too, if the symptoms persist then a thorough examination in the clinic followed by undergoing certain investigations too is recommended which may include the following;

An MRI scan of the cervical spine (spine in the neck region)

An MRI scan of the shoulder

A nerve and muscle test called as EMG/Nerve conduction test etc

If recently blood tests have not been done then the following blood tests too are required;

Electrolytes including calcium, magnesium, potassium etc

CBC (Complete blood cell count)

Blood glucose

Lyme disease tests (if there is any risk such as tick bite etc)

Vitamin b12, folate levels

Thyroid test etc

If the tests detect any abnormalities then it will be treated appropriately

But once again please see there is certainly no suspicion for any serious health conditions including aneurysm of any kind including aortic aneurysm too in you, also no suspicion for any irreversible or major nerve injuries etc too, and what you are having is a temporary & reversible condition as mentioned earlier above.

Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)