Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

When I wake up in the morning I have a sharp pain in my back…

Hi ! -- when...

Hi ! -- when I wake up in the morning I have a sharp pain in my back area , just above my waistline, close to the side of my body -- not by my spine. // If I rub it for a couple minutes, it goes away. // I do not feel it all day. Just when I wake up in the morning. any suggestions?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

No injuries. Always exact same pain "strength".

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I'm healthy, but overweight. -- If I sleep on my stomach all night I usually dont get the pain in the morning.

4/30/2018
Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor

This is Dr. Shah and am reviewing your question now.

I will respond to your question or request additional information shortly. Thank you for your patience.

How old are you?

Do you have any urinary, genital or GI symptoms? Any local swelling, redness? Any relation with hip joint, bending? is there any pain in your back, going down?

no urninary, genital or GI symptoms. // no swelling or redness that I can see // hip feels fine. My back/spine does not hurt; just this one spot.
this has been going on for at least 3 weeks. It is on my right side, back, just above waist. Like I said -- if I rub it (with the back of my hand) it mostly goes away. -- It just seems odd that it happens every morning. If it was a sprain or pinched nerve, it would be painful all day.

How severe is the pain? Does it feel like coming from skin or deep in the muscle or burning pain?

How old are you? Do you have degenerative joint disease/osteoarthritis?

it is maybe a 6 or 7 on the pain scale??? If it happened all day, I probably would hardly be able to do anything. But for only 10 to 30 minutes, I can take it. After I get up and walk around it eases up. // it is deep inside, not on the outside.
I just do not want to ignore this if it has anything to do with an organ, like kidney or liver, which would be in the area. Also I am surprised it is going on for so long (3 to 4 weeks). I think it might have something to do with my sleeping. That I may be putting pressure on "this organ"; because, if I sleep on my face/stomach the pain some times does not happen.

Thanks for the information.

The way you describe, it does not sound related to kidney, liver, or GI tract. Moreover, you don't have any symptoms to support such problem. Most likely it's a musculoskeletal/osteoarthritis problem which can cause pain in that location and may present in the morning that eases as your increase your activity. You can get a x-ray spine to confirm the diagnosis. In the meantime, you can take OTC advil, and use hot water bag in that area, and do some mild stretching exercise. It should go away in a week time.

Please let me know if you have any other question for me.

Please leave a positive rating by selecting 5 stars on the top of your screen so that I can get the credit for my time with you.

Regards,

Dr. Shah

Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
I did take some OTC pills initially, but I found out that the pain went away pretty quickly on its own, so I stopped. Also I already rub that spot, and make it warm, and help it to go away. So saying it will go away in a week if I do that -- has not worked. I really think it has something to do with the way I sleep; but I dont want to sleep on my stomach forever.

Yes, it's quite possible that your sleep positing might be putting some extra pressure in that area. That would again be related to musculoskeletal pain. Anything massage, stretching, hot water bag, OTC pain meds would be beneficial in this kind of pain. Definitely not related to kidney or liver.

I hope it helps.

Take care.