Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My husband is 81 y/o and has recurring UTI's due to BPH. He…

My husband is 81...

My husband is 81 y/o and has recurring UTI's due to BPH. He is on Tamsulosin B.I.D and Drs say there is nothing more to do. Would a low dose of antibiotics on a regular basis help prevent future occurrences?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

He is taking Tamsulosin, meds for Diabetes, high blood pressure, an anti-depressant, Lantus and a statin. He has just been in the hospital a second time with confusion and marked weakness.

Doctor's Assistant: When was last time you had a check up? Is there a history of high blood pressure in your family?

He saw his PCP Thursday a week ago ;and admitted to hospital that night.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

He took Risperdal for many years and has extra pyramidal symptoms.

4/30/2018

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

The low dose regular antibiotic usually does not help because there is resistance towards the antibiotics. Your doctor may need to get the following investigations done;

1) Uroflowmetry.

2) Urodynamics

These will tell if there is residual urine in bladder and if there is issue regarding the contractility of the bladder. In both of these cases, antibiotics would not prevent the recurrence. There would be chronic infection.

Thus either the prostate surgery or medication to empty the bladder would be needed.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Stay blessed.