Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a tongue related question. thickened skin on one side…

Second opinion] Hi there...

Second opinion] Hi there. I have a tongue related question

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

White thickened skin on one side of the tongue. now it also hurts

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the skin issue? Have you noticed any major changes in your overall skin or nails recently?

3 months at least. no

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have been diagnosed with candida yeast overgrowth, but that thrush is gone now

Answered in 1 hour by:
4/29/2018
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD
Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani and I am here to help you today. I have 13 years of experience in the field of Health Care at a tertiary care referral hospital. I will do my level best to alleviate your health concern. I am currently reviewing your question. May I request you to upload an image of the side of the tongue where it is hurting so that I can see and get back to you please. I will be back in a moment to guide you further.Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani
please see attached, thank you
Hello... I understand your concern.I need some more information please.1. Since how long have you had this thickendd painful lesion on the tongue?
2. How long back did you have oral thrush?
3. Are you having any sort of immunodeficiency either acquired or primary please?
4. Is there any burning sensation or is it only pain?
5. If it is there, are you experiencing the same pain and burning sensation in the oesophagus also?
6. Is there any recurrent fever or recent loss of appetite and significant weight loss?
7. Are you having any recurrent or chronic diarrhoea or neck swellings?
8. Does it bleed if you remove the white substance on the thickened mucosa there?Please get back to me with the above information so that I can guide you better.Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani
Thank you for getting back to me. I have it thickened for at least 4 months now. It is paiful since this morning.
I had the yeast thrush since 2016 up until about this January. (coming on and off)
It is not a burning sensation but rather a tingling/needle like feeling, it hurts when I am moving my tongue and pressing it against my teeth or when I am eating.
No symptoms relating to the oesophagus.
No fever/loss of appetite/weight loss.
No chrinic diarrhoea or neck sweeling, only very fatigued for about 4 years now.
It was like shredding about 2 months ago and I have removed the white dead sking like ptch (then the whole thing was smaller than now), but it did not bleed.
Please answer my number 3 question also.
sorry, by shreddig I have meant to type peeilng
peeling*
Question3: Not that I know of, thank you
I have been taking a lot of antibiotics in my life (24 years old now) so that might have depleted my immune system
Hi... Thank you for getting back with all the requested necessary information -
Putting together the image, your symptom analysis and the history that I have gathered from you I put forth these possibilities -
1. Hyperkeratinization on the lateral part of the tongue.
2. Oral Candidiasis, a sort of fungal infection or oral Thrush of the tongue.Coming to hyperkeratinization - Hyperkeratinization (excessive formation of tenaciously attached keratin) may be present in a variety of clinical conditions, including genetic, physiologic, inflammatory, immunologic, premalignant, and malignant conditions. The change may result from a local insult, including chemical, thermal, or physical irritants. The most common cause he is biting of the tongue which might happen as a habit sometimes recurrently. The white patches of frictional keratosis that develop in the oral cavity represent a chronic, low-grade, mechanical process that is analogous to the formation of a callus on the skin. The Other similar conditions could be leukoplakia of the tongue, another possibility is result of nicotine usage either smokeless or with smoke.
The prognosis for frictional keratosis is excellent; resolution is usually accomplished when the frictional element is eliminated. Most lesions resolve in 1-3 weeks following the removal of the causative factor. Don't see about the duration that it is imperative that it should resolve in 3 weeks. Please also note that that is once the causative factor is removed like friction or tobacco.2. Coming to the second possibility of oral Candidiasis, I am putting it as a second possibility because it cannot be localised like this to one area and secondly that you have been treated for oral Candidiasis recently.But nevertheless these are my suggestions -
1. Get in touch with a oral hygienist or a dental surgeon and go ahead with a biopsy of the lesion so that we will have a definitive diagnosis as it has been going on for the past 4 months.2. Get yourself evaluated for immunodeficiencies including HIV. I am sorry to say this but I have to give you my unbiased professional opinion keeping your Goodwill in mind.
3. On consultation with physician start treatment for oral Candidiasis once again. But this is only the third and last possibility." I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (this is the only way we professionals get credited for our time and professional effort). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.A bonus is highly appreciated....Thank you!".If you are happy with my interaction and guidance, next time if you have any health concern, you can approach me directly at the following link please -https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsumanth/?rpt=3800Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani
thank you for your reply. just to be clear, it does not seem to you that it might be a sign of oral cancel, right?
I have already gathered the history regarding that in my question number 6.
From the history point of view, I have reasonably ruled out that it is not Oral cancer.
What is the exact reason why I did not put it in my possibilities list.
Sitting miles away from you I have to depend on images symptom analysis and the history which I have gathered from you.
But I again reassure you that this does not look like a oral cancer.
But (extremely unlikely) if it is so also the biopsy will rule it out.Hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction and deserve a 5 star rating and professional credit for my opinion.Best regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani
Hi... Sorry typographical error.This is the exact reason why I did not put it in my possibilities list.
thank you once again. one last question: I started using an ayurvedic copper tongue scraper for about a 2 weeks now. should I continue with scraping or should I rather stop with it? Thank you again Dr Amperayani
I suggest that you stop scrapping and using a copper tongue cleaner to scrap it, until we get a definitive diagnosis from the biopsy.Best regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD