Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I keep getting what I think are boils on my right and left…

I keep getting what...

I keep getting what I think are boils on my right and left legs (above the knee and below the knee). They start as these small puss filled looking little pimples and then grow into these very hard, extremely sore, raised bumps in my skin

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Are the bumps painful?

Very painful and for over a year. When they started I didn't think much of it but after the second one I went to an urgent care and was prescribed an antibiotic. So it stopped a few months passed and another came. Was prescribed antibiotics again. Went away for awhile. And now one has formed again. The one that I currently have is probably the 8th one

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Not that I can think of at this moment

4/28/2018
Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor

Welcome and thank you for your question.

How old are you?

What is your blood sugar and hemoglobin levels?

Do you have a family history of diabetes?

40 year old female. I am not sure what my blood sugar or hemoglobian levels are. And no family history of diabetes.
I am currently soaking ly leg in epsom salt due to the sorness of the boil in the picture

Thank you for your reply.

You have recurrent folliculitits. This condition usually occurs in people whose immune system is low and cannot fight off infections. Commonly in people with high blood sugar or low hemoglobin levels.

You will need to take a prolonged antibiotic course of antibiotics like Tetracycline for at least 4-6 weeks. Besides this, you will also need to take adequate vitamin and mineral supplements.

Please also get your blood tested for the sugar and hemoglobin levels.

Meanwhile, please apply a warm pack on the boil for 4-5 minutes. Ten apply Neosporin or triple bacteria ointment over it. Take Motrin 400 mg twice a day for 3 days.

I hope this helped.
Let me know if you need more information.
If not, please click on a positive rating ( 5 stars) to leave feedback.

Thank you.

Okay. So will I need to see a doctor face to face for prescriptions, vitamins, and mineral recommendation?

Yes, you will need to see a doctor for an order for the blood tests as well as prescription for the antibiotics.

I hope this helped.

Thank you.

Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor