Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Right side of my face swelled badly today. I've had some…

Right side of my...

Right side of my face swelled badly today. I've had some kind of jaw joint problem and was on antibiotics, but it doesn't seem to have worked.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this issue? Any other skin concerns?

No other skin issues

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Nothing I can think off. It did happen a year back, but it lasted a week and then went on its own

4/25/2018
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

Do you have a picture?

Just sent photo

is it tender?

Not really, but I'm having difficult opening my mouth and eating. Can't brush my teeth without pain in the joint area

I think you have either a pocket of infection or an effusion (fluid) related to that joint on that side

you really need this checked today

if there is infection there it needs drained

I would go to ER

I'm very sorry this is happening

It must be painful

is this information helpful?

Can it wait till 18 hours or so, I need to catch a flight in morning back home? It midnight now where I am

Honestly I wouldn't risk it

I would go in

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question).

We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Thanks for assistance. Scans showed small abscesses in the jaw muscle that caused swelling. Antibiotics were given and swelling can down. Almost back to normal