Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Mom 74 with ESRD. If she has hashimoto's and taking

Mom 74 with ESRD. If...
Mom 74 with ESRD. If she has hashimoto's and taking levothyroxine could she still have secondary hyperparathyroidism?
4/25/2018
Doctor Jennifer

Hi, I'm Dr Jennifer and I'm a surgery fellow. Yes, it's possible, because thyroid hormones and parathyroid hormones are different systems. It's just the name that's confusing! Hashimoto's disease causes a low thyroid hormone, which levothyroxine replaces. But parathyroid hormone is a different hormone, which regulates calcium; it's produced by the parathyroid glands, which are next to but separate from the thyroid gland..

Does that make sense? What can I clarify? If you're satisfied with my service, please consider giving me a 5-star rating!

Thank you. She has been complaining of feeling too tired to do anything, confused mostly for over 10 or more days, complained of body aching all over, she had a crack in left hip from a fall, ....wondering if possible she has this health issue and want to suggest to caregivers.
you helped to clarify may be possible

Yes, certainly. The first test to look for would be her blood calcium levels. If she's had that drawn recently, you can check to make sure it isn't too high. Unfortunately, in the elderly fatigue, confusion and body aches can also be symptoms of many other conditions, including urinary tract infections or other infections like pneumonia. Infections affect the elderly much more than they do the young, and can cause delirium.

I have been asking for her care givers at the rehab to rule this out but to no avail. She rarely if ever voids. She had been having fever sporadically. I asked Dr here hiw to check if cannot produce urine sample and he said blood culture, blood counts and ultrasound. I suggested this but the nurse told me ultrasound wouldn't tell them anything ..frustrating experience and so thankful for you and your colleagues

Absolutely. The ultrasound could show whether there's urine in her bladder or not, but honestly even if there's a little it could be colonized or infected. If she's been febrile, she should definitely get a fever workup, which would include those blood cultures and labs but also a chest Xray. Does she have a fistula, graft or a line for dialysis? If either of the latter two, that can also be infected.

Doctor Jennifer
she does have a fistula and it looks terrible but they have not looked into that. She is discharged Friday and arranging for dr appt.

If it looks bad, make sure her MD checks it over. Even if it's not infected, fistulas can have dangerous skin breakdown.

Thank you so very much. I greatly appreciate your thoroughness and follow up with each response. Sometimes it is hard to know what to consider and what questions to ask. I sincerely ***** ***** those in your care.

You're very welcome! Best of luck to you and your mom.