Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My wife has stage 4 ovarian cancer and is presently in a…

My wife has stage...

My wife has stage 4 ovarian cancer and is presently in a rehab facility.She has ascites in the abdomen and peritoneal fluid. She's on oxygen continuously. She is going to be eventually sent home on hospice care. Can she at least get safe draining for better rehab?

Doctor's Assistant: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?

We're trying, but she's too weak now. I can give you most info needed

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

She was always very healthy and athletic. She is 59 years old and had no known liver problems or family history of ovarian cancer only minor kidney problem which doctors say is unrelated. Was diagnosed about 5 months ago. Ascites in abdomen started to build up shortly thereafter.Started alternatives treatments with some success. Attempted atreament in Europe but wound up in hospital. Had no PT for 3 weeks. Came back skin and bones but started to improve. Inless than a week moved to rehab. Had only 1 chemo treatment. Now drs say she's too weak for more. Plan to send her home on hospice. Desperately trying to get her well enough to at least get out of bed and use toilet. But so out of breath from fluid buildup

Answered in 1 minute by:
4/25/2018
Dr. Jon
Dr. Jon, Board Certified MD

Hi there. I'm Dr. Jon. I'd be happy to help with your question. Please allow me a few moments to review.

I'm very sorry to hear about your wife's illness. I just want to clarify the information to make sure I can answer your question as best as possible. It sounds like your wife is in a rehab facility and will be going home with hospice services. However, she has significant ascites that limits her ability to move and makes her uncomfortable. Is your question what can be done for the ascites for her?

Dr. Jon
Dr. Jon, Board Certified MD
especially help her breathing so she so she can at least get out of bed to use toilet
Phone call session started

can you call back on home phone **************

It was a pleasure speaking with you. If your wife has further questions, please message me on my profile page: https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-doctor-jon/?rpt=3800

Would you be able to help me with information on pulmonary draining?
Of course. This question has been marked closed, however. If you’d like to ask a new question you can direct it to me on my profile page or I can look out for your question when it comes up.