Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

How are you. Don’t know if you remember me. But I have a…

Hello. How are you. Don’t...
Hello. How are you. Don’t know if you remember me. But I have a question regarding my condition. My aunt in New York is a dr and she asked a radiologist to look at my mri. She said that all looked ok and in the lung the most she saw was some mild ateelctasis that she was not overly concerned about. But I went online and looked it up and of course came up with bad outcomes. What do you thing ?
She even said that she would not even have written in the report as it was not significance
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/25/2018
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD

Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani and I am here to help you today. I have 13 years of experience in the field of Health Care at a tertiary care referral hospital. I will do my level best to alleviate your health concern. I am currently reviewing your question. I will be back in a moment to guide you further.

Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

Hello.... Are you the same person with small cyst in the liver and lung changes.

Again :(
I remember you very well.
As I had told you the lungs seems to be normal and that was what my opinion also if you remember correctly. I suggest you not to do internet searching as Medical Science is not to be taken in generalization. It is always patient tailored therapy and suggestions.
So I do not think that you should be getting depressed or anxious about what you have found in the internet about cysts in the liver and other lung abnormalities which are associated.
As I have already suggested you logically that if anything serious is going on you cannot be like this without major complications going on for one year please.
At the same time you have one radiologist and me telling that your lungs are normal.
So I do not think that you should be worried about this.
What worries me is that she said all looked normal but she saw some mild atélectasies
Can you have atélectasies that’s not clinical significance? I don’t quite get that
Such an amount of mild atelectasis is common in adult age group.
Even a mild viral lower respiratory infection also can cause such changes and I do not think you should be worried about it.
I am going in for an emergency case and if you don't mind I will get back to you in another 2 hours please.
Meanwhile you can post your queries and I will answer all of them at a time.
Thank you
You work all the time
you say mild atelectasis is common ?
The radiologist told my aunt that the person reading my mri had the over reading syndrome. That she would’ve just said that
The mri was normal.
But I have shortness of breath sometimes even while speaking. That’s why the fact
That she saw that worried me

Hi... the shortness of breath while speaking could be symptom of simple hyper reactive airways disease or asthma.

I do think it is related to the atelectasis at all and I am sure about it.

In fact people with asthma has minor atelectasis like this and it is very common.

I concur with the radiologist that you do not have anything major.

But do you think I should proceed asking you questions about asthma or related issues please?

Best regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

I don’t think I have asthma
What related issues could there be ?

I am sorry to ask - do you think - the stress you are undergoing is causing this shortness of breath - this is very well known entity.

I know that. I’ve had panic attacks in the past. But this feels different. It’s like I can never get a satisfying deep breath. And I’m always short of breath to the point that talking is challanging. Like I have trouble answering or talking because I’m sort of breath
It’s been ongoing and I thought maybe anxiety. Since we spoke I decided to try ssri for anxiety. But it does not really change much. That’s why I don’t believe it’s anxiety related :(
Maybe in part it’s exacerbated by anxiety.
I cannot bank on just considerations without taking a proper detailed history.
I need some more information please.1. How many days per month do you cough or feel breathless?2. How many nights per month does your sleep get disturbed due to above symptoms?3. Do you feel breathless when exerting or exercising?4. Are the symptoms when there are seasonal changes?5. Is there any family history of asthma or any other sort of allergies like skin allergy etc.?6. Does spicy food or heavy meal aggravate your symptoms?7. Do you have mouth breathing and snoring at night?8. Which is most predominant symptoms - cough / breathlessness / runny nose / blocked nose?9.What is your current profession please?Please get back to me with the above information so that I can guide you better.Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani
I feel out of breath all the time. At rest and lying down it’s not as bad. But as soon as I have to do anything I feel like I don’t have enough air. Even speaking causes me to feel breathless
I do not have allergies that I k ow of
I’m a pharmacist. And I do sleep with my mouth open at times
I am not aware of any allergies in the famIly
My only relat ce with asthma was my younger cousin
I don’t know if it is of any significance but I have pain around my clavicle. Not the bone. It’s like a burning pain. It’s woerd. It started at Easter. And I was waiting for it to go away. It’s on the left side. Maybe slightly on the right as well. But it’s mostly on the left side
Don’t know if it’s of any significance

I do not think the pain around clavicle is related.

The probabilities could be -

1. Stress or anxiety related bronchospasm - which is well known.

2. Severe persistent asthma.

In that order.

Can you try a therapeutic trial of inhaled corticosteroids and SOS beta-agonists for immediate relief for bronchospasm.

My suggestions for you -

1. Inhalers are the newest management strategies for this. I suggest the use of Foracort metered dose inhaler (100mcg) 2 puffs twice a day through a spacer and this is for regular use for 8 weeks. Another metered dose inhaler is Levolin and this can used as rescue therapy whenever the kid is having severe cough in spite of regular usage of Budecort. The technique is very important and very crucial for the drug to be delivered correctly to the lungs. Regularity of medicine usage also matters a lot. So do not discontinue abruptly after you notice some improvement. The technique of administering an inhaler using a spacer has to be taught to you by your doctor and these are prescription medicines. So I suggest you consult your physician for this.

2. Triggers can be environmental changes/ dust/ talcum powder/ seasonal changes/ un-cleaned a/c vents/ cold weather etc....we cannot specifically say this is the cause - unless we observe closely - best person is yourself.

3. You will require a spirometry.

You were mentioning tb sarcoidosis or amyloidosis... could that be a probablklty ?
Inhalers work for stress related bronchospasms? And could I have this constantly?

I was...I agree. But this therapeutic trial is far more simpler and if efficacious can be a permanent solution, rather than going through the tedious process of getting a specialist consultation to rule them out.

Levosalbutamol works for stress related bronchospasm.

But if it is solely stress related then - you may not require inhaled corticosteroids.

Can you give trial of Levosalbutamol metered dose inhaler with spacer please.

We don’t have that one
What family of bronchodilator is it ? I will try a related product
It’s as if I can’t take enough air to make a sentence it’s woerd

It is a short acting beta agonist bronchodilator please.

Ok thank you
Happy to help you anytime.
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD