Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I've been sick since the end of March. Mostly cough, low…

Customer Question
I've been sick...

I've been sick since the end of March. Mostly cough, low grade temp, fatique. Went to Dr 3 times in a week. First they gave me promethazine with dextromophrofine, for cough .Did not work. This was weds 28th. Next I went April 1st, was given cefzil and tessalon pearls. Did not help. Finally the following Fri, I saw my reg Dr who gave me prednisone, albuterol inhaler and told me to take breathing treatments of albuterol. By now my left eye was involved and though I stopped coughing so much, I continued to have a productive cough, drainage, fever lesion underneath my nose. This week I called him because my throat was sore, headache , some coughing plus the ever present fatigue. He called in singular, zyrtec, flonase. I am better, but I think I'm getting another sore on my nose. After all this I should tell you I'm 73 yrs old and have been caring for 2 of my granddaughters for almost 5 years. They came when they were 2 and 8 along with their Dad who is chief of police in our hometown. His ex-wife took up with various primal sorts. We get up at 4:30 7 days a week and he works 12hr shifts because there's only one other officer working nights. Now my 6 year old is in kindergarten and has already had fifths disease and mono along with seasonal allergies. My question: do you think I've caught mono from her although I've tried to be so careful, washing bedclothes and adding bleach to dishwater ? I am so cared for my aged mother (98.5) up until 8 years ago, my husband with lung cancer 17 months, his death 2008. And in 1989 I had left breast removed, cancer in situ, had no treatment. Very thankful , get checked yearly. Sorry to go on but want you to know all the factors. Linda

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the symptoms? Do you have a fever?

End of March, no fever now.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I take Zoloft 50mg, 1 qd, Crestor 20mg 1 ad, baby aspirin 1qd, synthroid 50mcg 1 qd. Have had in 1984 partial hysterectomy, I have night sweats periodically. My mother had active TB when I was 7 and again about 42 years ago, took medication both times along with streptomycin shots. I was skin tested just this week to ease my mind. It was negative.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
4/23/2018
Doctor: DrJomab, Board Certified MD replied 3 months ago
DrJomab
DrJomab, Board Certified MD

With all of the respiratory symptoms, it sounds more like a respiratory infection of some kind. The fever and fatigue could go with mononucleosis, but the cough, drainage, fever sore under the nose don't sound common with mononucleosis. Did you bring this up (possibility of mono) with your primary care physician?

He was aware of the child's problem. I grew up with Drs that did chest x-rays, cbc etc. That isn't done anymore unless you ask and I guess I've had my head in the sand somewhat with all that goes on here. I'm relatively healthy I believe, but have never had something this bad, or for such a lengthy time. But , I'm not a spring chicken anymore. What do I do next ?
I simply can't afford the call. Thanks
Unsubscribe

You should communicate with customer service. They will help you with that.