Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My beautician has staph in her lungs. Is it contagious and…

My beautician has staph...

My beautician has staph in her lungs. Is it contagious and can I catch it?

Doctor's Assistant: How long has she had the staph infection? Has she used any medication for it?

Several weeks. She had bronchitis then pneumonia now staph.

Doctor's Assistant: Has she seen a doctor about the staph infection?

Yes

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in her medical history you think the doctor should know?

I’m unaware.

4/23/2018
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon

Hello -

Don't worry too much.

Staph bacteria is everywhere, and it is a common bacteria that is on the skin of most people. Normally it just sits there, and unless you have an open wound, the bacteria itself does not cause a problem.

If she had bronchitis for several weeks, she probably had some bacterial inflammation then spread to the lungs, which that could cause the pneumonia.

This would not be contagious like the flu or a cold would be -- and you should be fine.

Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon