Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My sister has a persistent cough and is NOP, she has been…

My sister has a...

My sister has a persistent cough and is NOP, she has been innthe hospital gor ten days withdrawing from alcohol. She can hardly walk and is likely to be discharged in 3 days. She also has a blood clot on her liver and is suffering f***** *****ver disease which is causing internal fluids on her organs which is very visable as fluid retention.

Doctor's Assistant: How long has your sister had liver disease? Has she used any medication for it?

Not sure probably three yeard

Doctor's Assistant: Has she seen a doctor about liver disease?

She is in the hospital and yes family doctor

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in her medical history you think the doctor should know?

She refuses medication, is disoriented suffers from Korsakoff Symdrome

4/20/2018
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon

Hello -

Did you have a specific question we could help answer?

Should she be discharged in this condition?

Is she getting discharged to home, or to a rehab facility?

Home where she lives alone.
She cannot go to rehab facility as she has no short term memory and is confused

OK.

Well, if she is truly disoriented, it probably is not the best to go home.

However, you will need some help with the social worker and case manager at the hospital to see if there are resources out there to help her in her current condition.

If she has been in the hospital for 10 days, she is over the period of alcohol withdrawal (which can last 3-9 days, most often 4-5 days).

So medically speaking, she is OK to leave the hospital. Of course, if she can't walk -- then she isn't safe to go home, and the social worker would help to figure out where she should go.

Please followup with the social worker at the hospital to get more help in your specific situation. Best of luck.

Thank you will do

Best of luck.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon