Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

For the last two years, my periods have been very irregular.

Customer Question
For the last two...

For the last two years, my periods have been very irregular. On average, my cycle lasts about 60 days, and I bleed for about 30-45 days. And there is just a couple of weeks rest until I start bleeding again. I get HUGE blood clots the size of golf balls and I have to change my tampon every hour or so, sometime I will soak through a tampon and a pad in just 30 min. I have been to a doctor before but they just wanted me to get on birth control and they won't examine me because I dont have insurance. They say it will help balance my hormones, but I have had my hormones tested and they are at normal levels, and when I get on birth control I can't control my mood and I am prone to extreme depression. I have limited resources living in texas, there is no Medicaid for adults and insurance is far to expensive, and the doctors I've been too wont do any tests because I can't pay. I have no idea what's wrong and it really scares me. I'm just looking for any helpful advice.

Doctor's Assistant: Are you using any contraceptives? When did your last period begin?

I am not using contraceptives, my last period started 3 weeks ago, I'm still on it.

Doctor's Assistant: When was your last pap test, and what were the results? Any swelling, discoloration, or unusual smells?

I haven't been able to get a pap test in 2 years because of how often I'm on my period, they wont do the test of your bleeding, but the last time I did have one it was normal

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
4/20/2018
Doctor: Dr. Nina Lim, Board Certified MD replied 3 months ago
Dr. Nina Lim
Dr. Nina Lim, Board Certified MD
Hello, my name is***** and I am a women’s health physician. Let me review your question and I will get back to you shortly, thanks.
How old are you and where in Texas do you live? I am asking about your location because I want to help you find a free health clinic that you can go to for an exam. Obviously, there is a problem with your cycle - it could be from fluctuations in your female hormones, it could from an abnormal thyroid, or it could be a uterine cause - fibroids, endometriosis, etc. You need to have a pelvic ultrasound in order to rule out a uterine cause - no away around that. So the key is to find a place that can do it for free or for a low cost that you can afford.
I am 28, I live in Lubbock TX
Ok let me look if I can find any clinics in that area
http://www.lubbockfreeclinic.org/services.html
The clinic above is run by Texas Tech.