Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a stress fracture in my left tibia which is not

Customer Question
Second opinion] I have...

Second opinion] I have a stress fracture in my left tibia which is not healing quickly. I am 70 and have auto immune diseases that are being treated with Cimzia Lyo injections monthly. My orthopedist thinks I should curtail the injections saying that inflammation is needed for healing. My rheumatologist says that the Cimzia is not interfering with healing and is in fact helping. She wants to start Prolia injections to increase bone density. Who�s right? I have great respect for both physicians.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been using Prolia? Has it helped at all?

Haven�t started using yet!

Doctor's Assistant: Have you used anything besides Prolia for this?

No, have never had an abnormal bone scan. It�s just that over the last 3 years I�ve had 2 stress fractures and one break. I�ve been on Cimzia for over a year now. My last bone scan was Feb., 2018.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have controlled high blood pressure, I have a healthy heart, am overweight by about 20 pounds. Saw my primary care physician last week and all blood work came back normal.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/20/2018
Doctor: Dr. Greg, Board Certified MD replied 4 months ago
Dr. Greg
Dr. Greg, Board Certified MD

Hello, My name is***** am a board certified physician, and would be happy to help you with your health concern. Please give me a few minutes to read, and respond to your question.

Thanks for your question. Cimzia does not cause delayed bone healing or weak bones. Unlike steroids, Cimzia is safe in this regard. The studies do now show that Cimzia helps bone healing either. In reference to bones, this medication is neutral and is safe to take.

Prolia is very helpful at preventing bone weakening, and may help to heal the stress fracture more quickly.

Please let me know if I can answer any additional questions.

Thank you very much. Your answer confirms my rheumatologist’s opinion of Cimzia use. My orthopedist was not familiar with the drug and assumed since it reduced inflammation that it was counterproductive to the healing of my fracture. I was hesitant to stop the Cimzia because it has given me my life back.

You're welcome. I'm glad to be of assistance. If any additional questions arise, please let me know. Have a great day.

Dr. Greg

Thanks again! Have a great weekend!