Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I was born with a birthmark on my left foot. After noticing…

I was born with a...
I was born with a birthmark on my left foot. After noticing some color changes I was given a referral to a dermatology clinic, treatments were begun that were to be done monthly for a year plus, do to extreme pain I was only able to get through 2-3 treatments. The last causing a large ulcer that required specialized skin care to heal, however the real effects have just manifested in the last year. The treatment is counter indicated as I actually have a Vein/artery malformation. I had pain for the years after treatment but just this year the pain increased to being unable to walk, my foot would literally burst and cause large amounts of blood loss. In attempts now to treat, any aggressive actions may cause the loss of my foot.
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/20/2018
Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD

Hi, my name is***** and I will try to assist you today.

I am sorry about what you have gone through. Is there anything specific I can help you with?

I am looking to see if there are any legal options to pursue do to the treatment on my foot and the now discovered complications

What was the treatment exactly that you received?

I received laser tx, I believe it was gamma treatment, however I’m not 100% sure on the laser type

OK, you will have to know exactly what laser was used, what exactly the diagnosis is, whether it was misdiagnosed and why the laser was the wrong treatment. Depending on the diagnosis, a laser may have been the appropriate treatment but the type of laser definitely matters. If you can show that you were misdiagnosed and were treated incorrectly or with the wrong laser then you may have a case. Request your medical records if you can.

Prior to tx
I was treated as if it was just a discoloration of the skin.
I know there is a statute of limitations, however the effects of this treatment continued to slowly manifest until really becoming debilitating I. The last 6-8 months
After 3 treatments
Currently

Yes, I can see it progressively getting worse.

You should consult a malpractice attorney to see if there is anything you can do here. Like I said, getting the medical records will be important and the attorney can help you with that.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

I would greatly appreciate it if you could give me a 5-star rating. We can continue to speak even after you rate if you would like. Thanks!

If issues are continually occurring does that grant a longer time than the statute of limitations, because the major issues are occurring now

Yes, you can argue that, but you would have to show that the effects are directly due to the treatment that you received from this doctor and cannot be attributed to anything else more recently.

Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD
Thank you

My pleasure. Good luck!