Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I was on my trip to India from US where I have been working…

I was on my trip...
I was on my trip to India from US where I have been working for past 4 years. During my visit to India, I was regularly eating outside/water/climate change from cold to hot. During my last couple of weeks, I started having abdominal fullness/tightness/discomfort which was constant.I saw a GI doctor who gave me few antibiotics and raberprezole but it did not help me much. Since I was leaving for states in a week doctor wanted to be sure nothings wrong so he ordered for a blood test and CT scan and also stool test report which came out normal and there were multiple liver cysts noticed which the doctor said is normal again. I also took H Pylori test which was negative. I travelled to States but its been 4-5 weeks and I still have constant stomach tightness/fullness/discomfort no other symptoms, it got a bit better as the doc asked me to raberprezole and i am taking it the tightness is mild now but isse still persists.
The main reason I had been under tremendous mental stress and anxiety because before leaving to India in states I went through a bad phase where i had an encounter with a female via dating site and it took over my mind that i might have harmed myself physically so i undertook-
1. hiv pcr rna test (day 9) negative
2. hiv 4th gen duo test (day 29) both negative
3. Hiv 4th gen test (day 60) negative
4. Hiv pcr rna test (day 60) negative
5. Std panel test neagtive day 50
, we just had one protected sexual encounter and no oral sex or kissing was involved. But because of the mental stress I kept thinking about it what if the protection ruptured/broke, what if i came in contact with any of her fluids, she just verbally told me she is all clean. The doctor later added there is no relation to your stomach issue with the hiv and he said its related and mainly due to high amount of mental stress causing gastroenteritis/acid reflux(gerd). But since I still have the stomach tightness/fullness feeling present which is constant and its been over 4-5weeks but the stomach tightness is mild now comparatively.I wanted to get an opinion about my entire scenario described about.
To add to this I have been constantly worrying of doing anymore tests related to hiv and normal stds panel test which i had taken at day 45 which came out negative as well, i am in constant worry because of the stomach tightness/fullness i am having and why is it still persistent (mild)after 4-5 weeks is it just gastrointestinal related or something to do with any stds. The doctor even mentioned my stomach issue has largely to do with the huge amount of stress I have been under due to the incident and overthinking.
4/20/2018
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome back. I believe we have discussed this issue previously. Would you like to discuss this again or do you want another opinion? ALso, I believe I recommended a hydratid disease test, have you gotten that done? Also, have you used the rabeprazole twice daily?

Hello Dr, I didnt find a way to follow up on the thread so had to post question again. As you recommeded i did the pylori test which came out negative. I was looking up on test centers for hydratid disseas here in chicago but i seem lost and couldn't find anything. I stopped on the rabeprazole a week couple of weeks back since i was out of it. I di get prolisec yesterday should i start taking that once a day early morn before breakfast? My GI doc back in india suggested no further tests are required and said its gut imbalance episode, but i wanted to get a second opinion

Actually, I think you can continue for the Prilosec for another 2 weeks. One tablet 20 mg once a day is fine. Secondly, the hydratid disease is something which should be kept at the back of your mind, I would suggest going to your primary care physician and if he cant do that test, Ask him for an ultrasound to see if the cysts are growing in size or number, if they are growing in size or number then the hydratid disease test has to be done. If they are static then I can think we can observe the situation for another 1-2 months.

Secondly regarding the tightness we can add a motility agent like erythromycin which can be helpful in this situation. Even metoclopramide would be helpful and that can reduce the tightness that you have. if the symptoms STILL persist after using these medications then an endoscopy should be considered.

Lastly, I think a good probiotic would also be useful in your case. You can use any one of the probiotics which are found OTC.

regarding the HIV and STD issue, you are HIV negative and STD negative, I think you can safely put that worry behind you. Repeated testing has shown that you don't have HIV at all. That is something which does NOT need to be tested for again. Most importantly the stress and anxiety levels need to be controlled as that will help reduce the stomach symptoms as well.

Do you have any more questions?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Thanks doctor for your advice, have no more questions

You are welcome, best of luck.