Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Urology: age 61 retaining urine in bladder due to enlarged…

urology: age 61 retaining urine...
urology: age 61 retaining urine in bladder due to enlarged prostate...after urination and then ultrasound today..showed bladder still filled..so urologist to do some tests in the next few day.,(affecting Kidneys with the pressure)...so at 5:00 PM catheter inserted in office..all the urine came out in bag--good..so I am home for a few hours...bag just has only blood coming thru..only drinking water...should the blood stop soon and be more normal urine... 10 PM PST...
4/20/2018
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

Thank you...

Sorry to hear about your problem . Well the blood is most likely due to injury caused by inserting the catheter . It should settle at its own . You just need to keep adequate water intake meanwhile . You can observe for now .

Hope it answers your query .

When maybe 1/3 full...I drain it every hour or so...the trauma of the catheter itself can have it bleed...should I just go tonight and see by morning...I took the Uribel to reduce burning...

Yes its most likely the trauma caused by catheter . You can wait , no urgency as it should heal on its own.

Have people bled like this...just alarming the red blood...slow fill...I can tell the urge when it comes...trying to tolerate this...
Took 5mg Diazepam to relax earlier....

Yes its very common . Wait till morning . No need to panic as such .Only if it becomes more profuse is when you may need to seek help.

Cranberry juice can help with the healing

I know a lot of variables...I have no other health issues....little achy at kidney areas...

Yes thats why i said the timing of bleed suggests its trauma related which is very common

I will wait tonight and see by morning.....you would think the water would start to dilute or come thru?

Yes it should help it for sure . Keep adequate water intake

even emptying the blood is ok for a few hour..not real painful...just uncomfortable....

Yes it should settle soon . Just observe overight

I just keep sipping bottled water...but you have seen people bleed in the bag for many hours...as I had it done at 5....so now 10:40....

Yes i have as i said its nothing uncommon . You need to keep an eye on quantity of blood though . If its becoming heavier rather then lighter then you should seek help

like now after maybe 1/2 hour , large bag is 1/3 full.....

Its frank blood or is it blood mixed with urine?

It seems kind of liquidy...initially was clotty and thick...earlier today....

So its improving ,i would say just observe till morning

Ok...since the bag is kind of clearish....it just looks sort of dark red color...I can move it in the bag
I won't lose too much blood this way?
Will the Uribel make it look darker red....

Uribe can make it bluish green so it can contribute but not necessarily . It should improve with time , wait and watch is all whats required

Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor
Thanks again...if not better by AM...will go back to urologist to check or local ER...Take care

Yes i hope it gets better.

Stay blessed.

Regards