Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

What is Entervococcus Fecalis? My sister is in the hospital…

What is Entervococcus Fecalis...

What is Entervococcus Fecalis? My sister is in the hospital and was just diagnosed with this infection

Doctor's Assistant: How long has your sister had the infection? Has she used any medication for it?

She had back surgery a month ago. Never felt good since, developed fever, weakness, no appetitie etc. She is now in the hospital

Doctor's Assistant: Has she seen a doctor about the fever?

She is in the hospital. Yes - I am looking for information about this type of infection

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in her medical history you think the doctor should know?

She just had back surgery - she had her back fused and has screws and plates which is where the infection started. She is now battlening the infection and I want to learn about it as we need to make decisions about next steps

4/20/2018
Dr. Nina Lim
Dr. Nina Lim, Board Certified MD

Hello, my name is***** and I am an internal medicine/ women's health doctor. I am sorry about what happened to your sister. May I ask where the Enterococcus faecalis bacteria was isolated -- was it in her urine?

It appears to be on the surgery site her back and it may be on the plates and screws .. is this a fatal infection if she does not have the plate and screws removed.

Is the infection now in her blood stream?

Unfortunately, the hardware has to be removed because this infection will be very difficult to treat if the hardware stays in place.

That hardware is the source of infection so she will just keep getting sicker and sicker if it is not removed.

Dr. Nina Lim
Dr. Nina Lim, Board Certified MD
What might of caused the infection on the hardware ?
Phone call session started
Will I be charged the $50 if she is unable to call?

Did you want me to call you?

You may have clicked a window that came up about phone calls. The website generates that so I apologize if it caused some confusion.

pleas call me

ok - give me a couple of minutes

It was good talking to you. Let me know what happens.