Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I'm running high fevers, but only at night. Last night, I…

I'm running high fevers...

I'm running high fevers, but only at night. Last night, I had a 105.6 fever and intense joint and muscle pain. I also can't sleep, I'm so agitated and restless. In the morning and afternoons, I have chills. Then, come evening, the fever breaks and it literally climbs to high temperatures within an hour. My husband wraps me in ice cold/wet towels from head to toe and that helps somewhat to bring the fever down. I don't have a cold or cough. No congestion. I have no idea what's wrong with me.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the fever? Have you used any medication for it?

This is my third day. I used Advil for the headache and body pain.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about the body pain?

No, haven't gone to see anyone as I'm ever so hopeful I'll get through this. But now, my temperature is already rising again

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I returned from a longer vacation in Thailand. I looked up the symptoms and incubation time of Dengue fever, I don't exactly match all the symptoms (I have no rash and no blood in my stool). I've been back home for three weeks and Dengue has an incubation time from 4-10 days. So I don't think that's it.

4/19/2018
Dr. Greg
Dr. Greg, Board Certified MD

Hello, My name is***** am a board certified physician, and would be happy to help you with your health concern. Please give me a few minutes to read, and respond to your question.

I​'m sorry to hear that you are suffering form high fevers, and body aches. Thanks for providing information regarding your recent travel history.

Your thoughts regarding Dengue is good, as it is a possibility. Although, Dengue is not endemic in Thailand. Additionally, you pointed out the fact that you developed symptoms outside of the typical incubation window.

The 2 diagnoses about which I'm most concerned (based upon your recent travel to Thailand, and symptoms) are (1) Typhiod Fever whose incubation period is 5-25 days, and (2) Malaria which has an incubation period of 7-35 days.

It's difficulty for me to determine which of these is more likely without examining you, but I would strongly recommend that you go to a local ER or urgent care to be evaluated. Typhoid and Malaria require treatment, and ominous complications can occur if treatment is delayed.

Thanks Dr. Greg. I will look up the Typhoid Fever and Malaria symptoms and go to the local ER tonight if my fever skyrockets again.

Th​at sounds good. I sincerely ***** ***** you feel better soon. If any additional questions arise, please let me know. Have a great day.

Dr. Greg

I’m at the emergency room and, just as you suggested, my symptoms come down to Malaria and Thyphid fever. Thanks for giving me such a quick and most likely a very accurate diagnoses and all this over the Internet.

I​t's my pleasure. I'm very hopeful that they will be able to identify and treat your infection so that you will get better soon. Take care.

Dr. Greg
Dr. Greg, Board Certified MD