Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I had what was considered a "textbook" gallbladder attack…

I had what was...

I had what was considered a "textbook" gallbladder attack while on travel by train. My symptoms were acute pain in the upper right quadrant of the abdomen, much gas, green stools, intensely itchy anal area, and funky breath. Also, I have a bruise on the top of my foot that does not go away. I have had an ultrasound, blood work, H Pylori test, nuclear scan. All of these were negative. The radiologist did find a cyst on my kidney as it was diagnosed in the nuclear scan. I am now two weeks at three days since the attack. I still have discomfort in the right upper quadrant and much gas. Are there any other tests or imaging that can be done?

Doctor's Assistant: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?

No specimen

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Strong family history of gall bladder disease.

Answered in 1 minute by:
4/19/2018
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** am US trained, Board Certified with 30 years of patient experience. Please allow me a moment to review your question.

I'm sorry you may have gallbladder stones/disease. Additional tests to determine gallbladder function include a HIDA scan, MRI or ERCP (stones when small can be removed during this procedure). Please discuss these additional tests with your doctor.

I hope I have addressed your concerns. Have I?

Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have.

I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned your 5 star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you.

Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
I did have a HIDA scan, and this was negative. In fact, all tests so far have been negative. I will probably have the ERCP so they can go further. My doctor suggested talking to a surgeon, but I don't know if this is wise yet since there have been no definitive diagnoses.

ERCP is considered a surgical procedure but it is done through a scope. If the HIDA scan was negative, this may not be gallbladder. You may have has a gastroenteritis and not gall stones.