Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Do drinking smoothies everyday act as a diuretic and cause…

Do drinking smoothies everyday...

Do drinking smoothies everyday act as a diuretic and cause loss of minerals even if your pee is normal color or clear? I've been doing smoothies along with breakfast and do not use them as meal replacements but I noticed I was getting dry mouth and pressure headaches.

Doctor's Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?

Well it just started a few days ago? I'm wondering if I was getting dehydrated.. I was also feeling like I can't focus

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have been severely dehydrated before a few months ago because of a bad virus and my blood pressure went up and I was having confusion..

Answered in 1 minute by:
4/19/2018
Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor

This is Dr. Shah and am reviewing your question now.

I will respond to your question or request additional information shortly. Thank you for your patience.

How old are you? Do you have any ongoing medical condition or taking meds? How long have you been drinking smoothies?

I'm 33 and yes after I had a virus at the end of December I was left with inflammation in my gi tract. I'm currently on a medication called apriso, carafate and omeprazole. I just started with smoothies a few weeks ago in the am with my breakfast. I noticed on Sunday I was getting dry mouth and having trouble concentrating/focusing. the smoothies are about 8oz each and are vegetables and fruits. I cannot digest high fiber foods and as a way to get those nutrients I wanted to drink them. I didn't realize they were starting to make me pee a lot. I was also trying to stay hydrated and thought that was a good thing. I did an epsom salt soak and felt dehydrated after that as well.. still drinking lots of water. Is there an imbalance happening? if so how do I fix this?

Thanks for the information.

Your medical history is clean. The symptoms you are experiencing might be related to the ingredients in the smoothies. Fruits and juices that are high in the electrolyte mineral potassium are a natural diuretic. In particular, citrus fruits and juices, such as lemon juice, are natural diuretics. You can discontinue smoothies and see if your feel better. In the meantime, you drink drink water, eat soup etc. If the problem persist even after stopping smoothies, then, we have to run some blood test to find out the cause of dehydration/excessive urination.

Please let me know if you have any specific question for me.

Please leave a positive rating by selecting 5 stars on the top of your screen so that I can get the credit for my time with you. If you have any follow-up question, you can reply to this post.

Regards,

Dr.Shah

Is clear urine for me bad? Should I slow down on the water?

Clear urine is the normal urine color. It also means you are not dehydrated. Keep up with water.

take care.

what about the brain fog and pressure headache? I had asked that at the very beg... Is it possible to have an imbalance of some kind even if your urine is completely clear? I was just wondering if I had washed out some of my electrolytes with the smoothies and salt soak?

Those symptoms can be relevant and due to electrolyte imbalance, since you do not have any medical condition. Just stop this smoothies and see if you feel better. If not, you have to run blood tests including serum electrolyte panel to see what's happening.

Please let me know if you have any other question.

okay thank you!

You are welcome!

Thanks for visiting justanswer.

Now you can leave a positive rating by selecting 5 stars on your screen so that I can get the credit for my time with you.

Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor