Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Does blood flow from testicular veins to the kidneys?

4/19/2018
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor

Dear customer,

Thank you for the question.

Yes, it does since the since the left testicular vein drains into the left renal (kidney) vein.

Take care.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please rate the answer with 5-stars, by clicking the 5-stars above with your mouse (or with your finger on a mobile device).
It will be very generous of you to also consider a bonus.
Thank you!

Okay, the next question is a little more difficult. Is it possible then that a varicocele could decrease blood flow to the kidneys such that it affects kidney function?

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

A varicocele will not reduce the blood flow to the kidney and you should not worry about any harm occurring to the kidney because of the varicocele. Varicocele is not known to cause any kidney complications.

Take care.

Thank you!

I'm sorry, but I don't understand how it could not if the testicular vein empties into the kidney and varicoceles can cause stenosis

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

A varicocele is only rarely associated with stenosis (we don't know whether it is causative or not) and this is not a common complication. Millions of individuals suffer from varicocele and have no complication related to the renal vein or reduced drainage from the kidney. The only possible complication is testicular complications due to the varicocele.

Take care.

Thank you!

I'm not sure I understood the answer or that it is entirely clear. Just want to know - is it POSSIBLE that a varicocele could affect the blood flow to the kidney if varicoceles have been know to cause stenosis?

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

I understand that this can be confusing. However, what I mean is that varicoceles have been associated with stenosis of the renal vein and it is not yet proved that the cause for the stenosis is the varicocele. It is more likely that the stenosis may have caused the varicocele and not the other way round.

Take care.

Thank you!

Either way - could the stenosis affect in any way blood flow to the kidney?

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

Yes, it is possible that the stenosis can lead to a reduction in the drainage from the kidney. But this is not because of the varicocele. This is due to stenosis which can be a rare coexisting condition along with the varicocele.

Take care.

Thank you!

Thanks. I know I am not an expert, but for your reference you may find this link of benefit as background.https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/medicine-and-dentistry/testicular-vein

Dear customer,

You are very welcome!

Thank you for the link and the various articles about the testicular vein. They are very informative.

Take care.

Thank you!

Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor