Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Can you tell me what to make of this echocardiogram report?

It was ordered for my...
Can you tell me what to make of this echocardiogram report? It was ordered for my husband because he had a major surgery two weeks ago and was believed to have developed two small blood clots in his lung by the end of this 6 hour procedure.An Intersocietal Commission for the Accreditation of
Echocardiography Laboratories Certified LaboratoryName: KEHM, JEFFREY
Date/Time of Procedure: 04/18/2018 10:15 AM
Institution: CVIS_PUH
Gender: M
Date of Birth: 02/05/1968
Accession Number: CV1053637
Sonographer: Pickell, Kat
Ordering Physician: Puri, Sona
Account:
Type: EchoTransthoracic EchocardiogramREFERRING DIAGNOSIS: Other pulmonary embolism without acute cor pulmonale
(I26.99)Height = 72" Weight = 226 lbs BSA = 2.3 m2 Resting Blood Pressure = 127/78 mmHgECHOCARDIOGRAPHIC MEASUREMENTS:
Diastolic Diameter: 4.8 cm (3.5-5.5 cm) Aortic Root: 3.1 cm (2.0-3.7 cm)
Systolic Diameter: 3.0 cm (2.5-4.0 cm) Left Atrium: 4.2 cm (1.9-3.8 cm)
Septal Thickness: 1.0 cm (0.7-1.2 cm)
Post. Wall Thickness: 0.8 cm (0.7-1.1 cm) EF%: 55-60(55-75%)TWO DIMENSIONAL ECHOCARDIOLOGY:
Left ventricular size is normal. Left ventricular wall thickness is normal.
Segmental left ventricular function is normal. Overall left ventricular
function is normal. The estimated left ventricular ejection fraction is
55-60 %. Right ventricular size is normal. Right ventricular wall thickness
is normal. Right ventricular function is normal. The right ventricular TAPSE
is 2.4 cm (normal > 1.6 cm). The left atrial volume index is 34 ml/m2
(normal < 35, mildly dilated 35-41, moderately dilated 42-48, severely
dilated > 48; Revised J Am Soc Echo 1/15). The left atrium is normal size.
The right atrial area is 19.4 cm2. The right atrium is mildly enlarged. The
pulmonary artery size is normal. The aortic root size is normal. The
ascending aorta is normal at 3.3 cm. The aortic valve is normal. The mitral
valve is normal. The tricuspid valve is normal. The pulmonic valve is
normal. No pericardial effusion is seen. Normal inferior vena caval
diameter.SPECTRAL DOPPLER:
There is trace mitral regurgitation. There is trace tricuspid regurgitation.
There is trace pulmonic regurgitation. The tricuspid valve annular systolic
velocity is 14 cm/sec (normal > 10.0 cm/sec). The mitral inflow E velocity
is 82 cm/sec. The mitral inflow A velocity is 92 cm/sec. The mitral annular
E velocity is 9 cm/sec. The mitral inflow E/A ratio is 0.9. The mitral
inflow E to annular E ratio is 9 (> 15 may be consistent with increased left
ventricular filling pressure). The peak tricuspid regurgitant velocity is
1.9 m/sec and with an assumed right atrial pressure of 3 mmHg, the estimated
pulmonary artery systolic pressure is 17 mmHg. There is normal diastolic
function.COLOR FLOW DOPPLER:
There is trace pulmonic regurgitation.FINAL IMPRESSIONS:
01) Normal left ventricular size. The left ventricle has normal systolic
function. The estimated left ventricular ejection fraction is 55-60%.
02) Normal right ventricle size. The right ventricle has normal function.
03) The right atrium is mildly enlarged.
04) Normal diastolic function.
4/19/2018
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

The report shows that everything is normal in the heart except for the right atrium which is mildly enlarged due to tricuspid regurgitation. The right atrium is the part of the heart that receives venous blood from the whole body and then pumps it into the right ventricle. The tricuspid valve is a valve that is located between the right atrium and ventricle and it prevents backflow of blood into the right atrium.

The right ventricle pumps the blood into the lungs for oxygenation. Whenever there is a problem such as blood clots in the lungs, there is pulmonary hypertension, which causes blood to flow back from the lungs in to the right ventricle and in turn in to the right atrium causing tricuspid regurgitation and enlargement of the right atrium since it is a muscle and when it works harder against a force, it enlarges. Since everything else is normal and the enlargement is mild, there is nothing to worry about and this echo goes in accordance with the recent blood clots.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5-stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Ah OK so I think if I understand you are saying the enlargement is BECAUSE of the blood clots not the CAUSE of them?
Will this go away when the blood clots do?
Is it normal for this to be going on three weeks out from surgery?
Will the blood clots go away?
If they will, will the enlargement go back to normal and will he have any residual issues with the heart as a result?

Yes, the enlargement is the result, not the cause.

Yes, since it is the result of the blood clots it should get better in a few months.

Yes, it is normal to be going on 3 weeks from surgery.

The blood clots resorb over time, can take up to 12 months to 2 years.

If your husband does not have any prior heart issues, then this should go back to normal within a few months.

Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Thank you very much

Glad I could help!

Take good care.