Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Multi family lipomas I'm 43 bit of a hypochodriac, I had…

Multi family lipomasHi I'm 43...
Multi family lipomasHi I'm 43 bit of a hypochodriac , I had these small fat balls under my skin in the fatty areas of my body since I was late teens early 20s. I have been to 2 doctors and both said there's nothing to worry about they are just balls of fat and gristle. I have them in my belly fat, my chest fat and legs and if you pull the skin on my bicep you can see them just below the surface. The size of them are ..0.5mm to 1cm and there is a larger one above my rib of about 2cm. The one doctor is my family doctor and he said my father has them also only he has larger ones but they are just fat deposits called lipomas and they run in families. Nothing to worry about as they are quite common. I was still worried so I spoke to my private doc who said they are also fat deposits know as lipomas. Due to another worry previous to this one I had a well man check with a CT scan of my abdomen and pelvis and the consultant said all was normal and unremarkable. So my private doctor advised that if these fat balls were suspicious and not just fat it would be picked up on the CT and ultrasounds that I have had over the last few years. She also advised that there is no issue with my blood calcium as it was within range and not high. She also advised that my GFR on my kidney function was >90 so this is also an indication that the fat lumps are just fat lumps. She said due to the duration of time the other tests I have had over the years and the fact my father has them is enough evidence to leave them alone as they are just family lipomas and harmless. Is it fair to say the docs are correct?
4/18/2018
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon

Yes, your doctors are correct.

If they were something more sinister, like liposarcoma (cancer) -- these small little lumps would have grown quickly and become notably different over the course of weeks and months.

If you have had multiple areas of small lumps that have been with you for years -- then there is nothing to worry about.

They stay the same size the one on my rib has been this size for at least five years that I can remember , I did push one really hard before and it felt like i broke a sack and was pushing something out. The doc said that these fat deposits tend to be in a sack but doesnt recommend i push them too hard as I bruised. They are also very mobile and move around quite freely which feels a little strange. Yes there are multiple areas and it just seems to be the way my fat forms, I have recently been on a health living program with a good diet and working out in the gym and I have lost a good amount of weight 240lbs to 185lbs and these balls seem to be more noticeable to touch but you cant see them sticking out.

Everything you have said are characteristic of lipomas.

They are soft, and encapsulated (in the sack), and if you push too hard, it can break and you can bruise yourself. They will be mobile as they are not attached to any bone or muscle, and you can notice them more if you are skinny vs if you are fat (the fat "hides" the lipomas better).

Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon
Thanks very much for your advice
Just quickly the smaller ones are harder than the bigger ones is this still a characteristic? I suppose it would make sense that they are just like a beach ball is softer than a pea.

That is correct.

Thanks again Doctor I think my only issue is anxiety , since I lost my mother to cancer a few years ago and have been obsessed with my health ever since.

Well, hopefully this is one less thing to worry about.

it is , many thanks