Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I'm experiencing chronic nausea which I can't seem to shake.

Customer Question
I'm experiencing chronic nausea...

I'm experiencing chronic nausea which I can't seem to shake. I have Barrett's Symdrome, and my Gastro doctor has me on 40mg of Esomeprazole ever day, but still experiencing stomach issues. Anything I can do at home to help?

Doctor's Assistant: How long has this been bothering you? Are you experiencing any vomiting or nausea?

Issue is sort of on-going (on and off), but this current bout has been about a week. Nausea and some diarrhea and loose stools, but not vomiting.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Diabetic (on meds, not insulin) and have had 2 minor heart attacks (have 2 stents), so I am taking quite a few medications!

Submitted: 20 days ago.Category: Medical
4/4/2018
Doctor: Dr. Greg, Board Certified MD replied 20 days ago
Dr. Greg
Dr. Greg, Board Certified MD

Hello, my name is***** would be happy to assist you with your health concerns today. Please allow me a few minutes to review and respond to your question.

I​'m sorry to hear that you aren't feeling well. Nausea can be quite uncomfortable, and sometimes difficult to control.

There was recent study which tested various interventions for managing nausea at home. Interestingly, the best intervention was sniffing rubbing alcohol (isopropyl). For reasons that are not quite clear, sniffing rubbing alcohol quickly calms nausea in most people. In fact, it was more effective than most prescription medications that were included in that study. The relief will likely be short lived, but can be quite useful for severe episodes.

If you prefer a prescribed medication, I would recommend that you visit a local urgent care to be evaluated. The doctor can prescribe a useful medication to hopefully control your symptoms.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

I​ sincerely ***** ***** I've answered your question sufficiently. Please feel free to rate my service. If any additional questions arise, please let me know. Have a good evening.

Dr. Greg
Dr. Greg
Dr. Greg, Board Certified MD