Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I've been on my cycle for 2 weeks. It's heavy and clotting.

Customer Question
I've been on my...

I've been on my cycle for 2 weeks. It's heavy and clotting. I'm prone to blood clots in my lungs. Should I be (Iam) worried

Doctor's Assistant: When did the bleeding begin? Have you used any medication for it?

2 weeks ago on Wednesday and I don't take medication anymore. Been off Eliquis since September

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a dentist about the bleeding?

It's not dental. I'm on my period

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I've been hospitalized twice for blood clots in my lungs.... 2012 and 2017

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/3/2018
Doctor: Dr. Greg, Board Certified MD replied 4 months ago
Dr. Greg
Dr. Greg, Board Certified MD

Hello, my name is***** would be happy to assist you with your health concerns today. Please allow me a few minutes to review and respond to your question.

I​'m sorry to hear that you are suffering from prolonged menstrual bleeding. Fortunately, there is no relationship between blood clots that come from the uterus/vagina, and blood clots within the lungs.

Blood clots that are found in the lungs, usually develop in the legs initially. Pieces of the clots break off and travel through the blood stream and get caught in the lungs. When a clot reaches the lungs, usually a person will suffer from shortness of breath, chest pain, fatigue, etc.

On the other hand, blood clots occur in the vagina/uterus because the blood has left the blood vessels and enters the vagina/uterus where it is exposed to air and the acidity of the vaginal environment. The combination of air exposure, and acidity causes blood to clot. The clotting in this circumstance occurs outside of the blood vessel (as it should). This is a natural response to blood that leaves the blood vessels, but does not mean that you are more likely to develop clots in the lungs.

Please let me know if I can answer additional questions.