Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Left lower back pain below rib cage that comes and goes.

Customer Question
Left lower back pain...

Left lower back pain below rib cage that comes and goes. Started last night.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

No injuries

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
4/3/2018
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 3 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

how old are you?

are you male or female?

what is your height and weight?

34
Male
5’9
190lbs

that area back there in your lower back below the ribs is your kidney

you may have a small kidney stone in that area

urine testing can check for microscopic blood in your urine which can occur with kidney stones

a kidney ultrasound can check for stones in your kidney.

drinking more water and fluids and urinating more frequently can help flush out the stone

Ok should I just drink lots of fluids to flush out or call my doctor book a appointment or make a hospital visit?

you should drink lots of fluids to flush out and see if that helps

if the pain doesn't get better in 1-2 days, you should make an appointment to see your regular primary care doctor

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 Stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down see the ratings area)
You can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com