Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I just started Varylar, and am having a multitude of side…

Customer Question
I just started Varylar...

I just started Varylar, and am having a multitude of side affects, what should I do am already stopped taking it.

Doctor's Assistant: What are your symptoms? Have you used any medication for this?

No this was the first time.wheezing, severe dry mouth, severe sore throat, neck pain from jaw line down. Some uncontrolled sweating , some muscle stiffness. Could this be a NMS?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this?

Yes she said stop 3 mg and go back to 1.5 but haven't started it yet.

Doctor's Assistant: Back (~medical bodypart)

What does that mean?

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I usually use a inhaler,

Submitted: 19 days ago.Category: Medical
4/3/2018
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 19 days ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. I just came online to see that you have been waiting for some time so ill quickly answer this question for you. Actually, the symptoms that you have described are simply side effects of the drug rather than symptoms consistent with NMS or neuroleptic malignant syndrome. Usually, if you have NMS it would NOT fade away on its own and would persist or actually would get worse over time. Secondly, NMS would cause generalized rigidity, the stiffness of the muscles and high-grade fever which is usually in excess of 104 F. In the absence of these symptoms NMS is less likely. Additionally, the stiffness of muscles would be so severe that you would be unable to move or walk at all.

If the symptoms that you are experiencing are settling down then NMS is a less likely possibility and in that situation, it is likely to be due to simple side effects which should fade away within a day or so. If the symptoms are actually worsening and you are spiking a fever then you should immediately have this evaluated by visiting the ER.

Do you have any more questions?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 16 days ago

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor