Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My 17 Month old has a has a fever for 13 days ranging from…

Customer Question
Hi, my 17 Month...

Hi, my 17 Month old has a has a fever for 13 days ranging from 102-103. Still drinking but throwing up. Not eating really. Unless it’s a few bites of avacado.. ped says most likely a virus.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had a fever? Do you have any respiratory symptoms?

No respitatory issues.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No- 6 week early premie. That’s it

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
4/3/2018
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 3 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your child's symptoms. Actually, if the fever is still at 103 F after 13 days then it is something which NEEDS to be evaluated for a potential bacterial infection. The reason being that most viral illnesses start to settle down by the end of the 2nd week and if your child is having a fever even after 14 days then he or she may have a bacterial infection which would need antibiotics to be treated. The fact that he is unable to eat anything and is constantly throwing up could indicate that he may be at risk for dehydration if he stops drinking as well.

Now in children of this age group, usually there can be a throat, ear or chest infection and your child SHOULD be evaluated for bacteria in all of these locations and treated with antibiotics as necessary. I think a re-evaluation at your doctor's office is necessary if his fever is NOT settling down. if the fever is settling down then it is likely a viral infection which may take another week to completely disappear.

Do you have any more questions?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating. Any BONUSES would be well appreciated!