Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I wanna start off by saying I smoke, I have been for 7

Customer Question
Hey so I wanna...

Hey so I wanna start off by saying I smoke weed, I have been for 7 months and up until now I haven’t developed any type of cough or anything but 3 days ago I developed this cough that seems to be getting worse but it’s weird because it’s a cough but I don’t get the urge to cough or a reflex or anything but I know I got a cough because if I try to cough, it’s there. It’s a dry cough currently.. I just wanna know if I should be concerned or not and whether I should visit my doctor

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?

3 days, not long

Submitted: 20 days ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/2/2018
Doctor: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 20 days ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

How old are you?

do you smoke cigarettes?

do you have any post nasal drip?

what about acid reflux?

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
17No cigarettes, just weedNoNo

Ok good

I would not be worried about this

but the marijuana is clearly not helping your body

it is causing inflammation of the airways and lungs that is triggering a cough

this is not cancer or anything like that but a sign you should stop smoking weed

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question).

We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Apparently there is evidence that smoking weed doesn’t cause lung cancer so if were to continue, what’s the worst that could happen?

You can still get asthma and COPD

so the worst thing is COPD

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Okay and what if I were to take a break instead of quitting? Would that help or would It be best if I quit?

yes, that would help

there is a dose response effect

just like smoking 2 packs of cigarettes per day is worse than 1

but quitting is best

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Okay let’s say this cough continues to get worse... when would u say I should visit my doctor?

another 7-10 days

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Can you give me some disadvantages and advantages (if any) of weed and few reasons to quit. Just basically hit me with any facts you know.
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Also I think I may have a mild dependency as I sometimes get in a bad mood if I’m not high, recently I’ve been smoking every day. Would there be any benefit in switching to edibles for example? Or would the drug still be harming my body?

Well, it is a recreational drug. So there are not really any advantages.

In low and infrequent amounts it can help with anxiety and pain

disadvantages are many but mainly with daily use

lung disease, paranoia, worsening anxiety, fast heart rate, among others

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Okay what about switching to edible marijuana that would remove any risk of developing anything in the lungs but would there still be any harm?
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor