Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Feeling nauseous. The first time I felt nauseous was about…

Customer Question
Feeling nauseous. The first time...
Feeling nauseous. The first time I felt nauseous was about two weeks ago and that was after interacting with someone that was sick. But I kept thinking about it and decided not to eat that day because I kept thinking I was going to get sick. Later I started eating normally after and going out more. But now I started thinking that I was sick again and started feeling nauseous, I’m not sure if I’m actually nauseous or it’s just the feeling in my mouth or if it’s just all in my head and I’m making myself feel this way. I’ve been drinking water, eating alot(if I don’t think about it), bowel movements are normal and no blood in stools. If I don’t eat then my stomach starts growling and feel hungry but I feel scared of the nausea or of vomiting. I haven’t vomited from it though. I do worry about health a lot and I do prefer if everything is very clean and everything in order and not being close to people who are sick. I use to work in a hospital which made me more like that. I know it’s not good to google but when I googled symptoms it just told me the worst things and made things worse. Usually when I wake up in the morning I feel like a dry nasty taste in the mouth so I rinse my mouth out and drink water, but also honestly I haven’t really been brushing much. Do you think that’s the reason? Also the whole feeling isn’t really in the stomach it’s more in the back of the mouth where I feel like throwing up but I take my mind off it and It doesn’t happen. What do you think it is? Is it all in my head? Or is there something wrong?? Every little thing that happens I get worried about being sick or having an illness or something.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
4/2/2018
Doctor: Dr Uzair, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

This sounds like acid reflux. Especially because you have a bad or bitter taste in the mouth when you wake up in the mornings. Early morning nausea and having a bad taste in the mouth are both very common presenting symptoms of acid reflux.

Here is what you should try. Sleep with a head up tilt of about 30 degrees at night to prevent acid trickling up the food pipe and irritating the pharynx. Avoid alcohol, fizzy drinks, and hot beverages. Avoid spicy, salted, smoked and barbecued foods, especially for dinner.

Try to eat smaller portions of food and more frequently instead of eating a one-time full stomach meal.

You can also add something over the counter like Prilosec 10 mg twice a day to counter the acid reflux for 14 days. If these measures do not help, schedule a visit to your doctor for a more detailed evaluation.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5-stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Also sometimes I do have heartburn depending on what I ate before that. But is that normal with acid reflux to feel nauseous even in the middle of the day? Like on the bus or train,etc? Do people vomit with acid reflux? Is it actual nausea or is it just the acid reflux since I feel it more in my mouth than the stomach. If I don’t eat my stomach just feels empty

Yes, it is normal with acid reflux to feel nauseous in the middle of the day or at any time for that matter.

No, it is not necessary for people with acid reflux to vomit, however, vomiting can occur.

Nausea is always actual, there is nothing like relative nausea. Heartburn and exaggerated hunger pangs that you have are also a sign of acid reflux and stomach inflammation. So, I have no doubt that you have acid reflux and gastritis and you should follow the advice given above.

Hope this helps.
Please leave a 5-star rating for the service.

Best wishes.

Ok so I’ll try taking the Prilosec. Also when I eat I tend to stop eating too much because I keep thinking I’m going to vomit or something. So just eat small but more frequently?

Yes, that is correct. Along with Prilosec, you need to adopt all the measures I have mentioned above.

Please take good care and do not remember to leave a 5-star rating for me.

Good luck!

that will stop the nausea feeling? And the dry/bitter taste in the mouth upon awakening? It’s not bitter with acid, it’s just bad taste in the mouth for a while until I just keep rinsingand gargling water and spit it out. Sorry if it’s too many questions. I worry about health a lot

Yes, that should stop it. You are anxious and stress and anxiety increase acid reflux and gastritis. Try to relax. And take the above measures. If you are still not sure, you will need to go and see your Doctor for peace of mind.

Ok thank you!
Glad I could help!
Have a good one.
Please do remember to leave a 5-star rating for the service.
Take care!
I haven’t taken the pill yet but I’m planning on getting it today. I’ve eaten since then and had no nausea (I didn’t think about it or anything). And this morning I had the bad taste in the mouth again and I after I brushed it went away. I’ve also been googling things and it started saying things like liver problems. Do you think it’s liver problems ?

Thanks for the reply.

I do not think so, it is related to acid reflux and my suggestion remains the same.

Please do not forget to click on 5 stars.

Best wishes.

Ok and what would be signs of liver problems? Just out of curiosity

The sign and symptoms of liver problem include jaundice, nausea, abdominal pain,swelling in legs.

none of the things I said sounded like it? What about the bitter taste in mouth in the morning?
What are tips to stop having anxiety? Sometimes I worry about being sick a lot

The bitter taste is also linked to reflux. Regular exercise, healthy diet and yoga help with anxiety.