Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a friend who took this med called ato-doxycycline. I…

Customer Question
Hi I have a...

Hi I have a friend who took this med called ato-doxycycline

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

I have a friend who taken ato-doxycycline it made very sick u black motions and vomitedup black muck feeling run down tired no appatite she seems too this tablet has done damage there 14 tablets all up what should she do

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

She a asmtic under heart specialist by the name of dr I’m cannot take penicillin blood pressure 125/65 Pules 64

Doctor's Assistant: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?

At the moment health is poor her mother and grandmother died of heart attacks

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
This lady is 84 years old
4/2/2018
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Welcome to Ja and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your friends symptoms. I just came online to see that you have been waiting for some time so ill quickly answer this question for you. Actually the presence of black colored stool and vomiting up black material is an indication that your friend is bleeding in the upper gastrointestinal tract. This means that she could be bleeding from tbe esophagus, the stomach or first part of the small intestine. When the blood moves through the intestines it shows up as black in the stool. Secondly black colored vomits means that the blood had been present in the stomach for some time due to which it changed its color. The fact is that throwing up blood of this color or even passing mack colored still is an immediate indication to get evaluated in the er or visit a gastroenterologist.she needs to get an endoscopy done which would involve putting a camera down her esophagus to look for the site of bleeding. The procedure is painless and she would be under sedation for it. This is very important because otherwise she would start to bleed again and it may be uncontrollable at that time.
Right now she should start using over the counter prilosec at a dose of 40 mg twice daily for two days and afterward 20 mg twice daily for the next 14 days. But she should see her doctor as soon as possible.
Do you have anymore questions?
Please remember to leave a positive rating as that is how we are compensated for helping you today