Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Should eliquis be prescribe to a person with a mitral valve…

Customer Question
Should eliquis be prescribe...

Should eliquis be prescribe to a person with a mitral valve repair or replacement?

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Confusion, bruising, possible itching,

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

She has hypoglycemia, she had the mitral valve repair in 2011.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
4/2/2018
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 3 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about the symptoms. I just came online to see that you have been waiting for some time so ill quickly answer this question for you. Actually, Eliquis can be used to manage the anticoagulation which is necessary after mitral valve replacement. in fact, studies show that this is a much better option when compared to warfarin as this does not require monitoring on a regular basis and the incidence of side effects with Eliquis is much lower than more traditional anticoagulants like warfarin.

So in short YES mitral valve replacement as well as post repair, Eliquis is a good choice. Now if this patient is experiencing spontaneous bruising while being on eliquis then she needs to be evaluated as soon as possible in order to determine where the dose needs to be adjusted or not.

Do you have any more questions?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.