Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

What do these abbreviations mean on my PFT test and what do…

Customer Question
What do these abbreviations mean...
What do these abbreviations mean on my PFT test and what do they indicate?
RV/TLC
FRC
ERV
Raw
sGaw
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
4/2/2018
Doctor: Dr. Greg, Board Certified MD replied 3 months ago
Dr. Greg
Dr. Greg, Board Certified MD

Hello, my name is***** would be happy to assist you with your health concerns today. Please allow me a few minutes to review and respond to your question.

Please see my explanations below, and let me know if you have additional questions:

PFT (Pulmonary Function Test) - a test performed by a pulmonologist to determine the volume of air in the lungs, and to measure how much air moves in and out of the lungs with each breath.

RV (Residual Volume) / TLC (Total Lunc Capacity) - these values are measured to determine the total amount of air a person can fit into the lungs after inhaling maximally and exhaling maximally. The TLC is the total amount of air in the lungs, and the RV is the amount of air that remains in the lung after the personal maximally exhales. As you may know, it is impossible to fully empty the lung. The exception to this is if a person's lung collapses. So, if you calculate the TLC and subtract the RV, the answer gives you the VC (Vital Capacity), which is the total amount of air that can be moved in and out of the lungs.

FRC (Functional Residual Capacity) - volume of air remaining in lungs at the end of a after normal inhalation.

ERV (Expiratory Reserve Volume) - volume of additional air that can be exhaled from lungs after a normal exhalation.

RAW (Airway Resistance) - amount of stiffness in the airway that contributes to the effort and energy used to breathe

sGAW (Specific Conductance) - a measurement of the ability of the airways to stretch or slightly expand when necessary during forceful breathing.

Thank you for explaining but I do not understand how to relate that to my scores. I have PF and my scores for those are:
RV/TLC 118
FRC 68
ERV69
Raw 178
sGaw 81
What is this showing in regards ***** ***** illness? The Raw score of 178 seems extreme but what should the scores be for a normal person?
The other main scores are
FVC 47
FEV1 44
TLC 56
VC 47
RV 67
DLCO 43

​The results of your PFTs confirm that you have Restrictive Lung disease. Pulmonary Fibrosis is a type of restrictive lung disease. A simple way to determine whether your results are consistent with a restrictive lung disease is to calculate FEV1/FVC (FEV1 divided by FVC). If the value is > 0.80, the results is indicative of restrictive lung disease.

I know that. I am asking about the original part of the question. Why calculate those things if they don't signify anything. Like what my numbers mean vs the norm. I cannot find online information on these parts of the testing.
RV/TLC 118
FRC 68
ERV69
Raw 178
sGaw 81