Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am having an issue with a break-out or rash on my

Customer Question
I am having an...

I am having an issue with a break-out or rash on my forehead. Not sure what it is and am concerned it could be shingles.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

I have not gone to the doctor because it’s Easter weekend.

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/1/2018
Doctor: Dr. Shah, Doctor replied 24 days ago
Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor

This is Dr. Shah and am reviewing your question now.

I will respond to your question or request additional information shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Thank you. I have pictures from this morning.

Thanks!

How old are you? Do you feel pain or itching? Is this area sensitive?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I am 39 years old.Yes, the area is very itchy and tender too.On Wednesday I had a little bump, looked like a clear bubble and was sore. After 24 hours it looked like a white head so I extracted it. But then now the whole area is inflamed and there are other bumps and I am itchy.I also had a few headaches this past week and my eyes felt very sore.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
either I picked at this little pimple and somehome got an infection that has spread...Or as I mentioned, have concern this could be shingles since I felt run down in the days leading up to it.I’m definitely more itchy than sore.

Thanks for the information.

Although shingles can causes rashes anywhere in the body but are mostly in the side of the body. The way you describe here, I still feel like this is not shingles. Moreover, shingles is common in 50-60 year people. The area is red, inflamed, and itching, the possibility of allergy/dermatitis is very likely. Other possibility would be, you ruptured the initial folliculitis and the area is inflamed now. Since you have intense itching, I am more inclined towards allergic rashes, you can use OTC hydrocortisone cream and see if you feel better. You can also take antihistamine to control your itching sensation.

Please leave a positive rating by selecting 5 stars on the top of your screen so that I can get the credit for my time with you. If you have any follow-up question, you can reply to this post.

Regards,

Dr. Shah

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I have had shingles twice before so that is why I was concerned. Although this is itchier.I put a little hydrocortisone on last night and it didn’t do anything but I will again tonight.So you think this can clear up topically versus needing an antibiotic?

Keep eye on it. If you see sign of infection like swelling, warm feeling, discharge, and pain. Then, it would indicate infection and antibiotics will be required. For the time being, keep the area clean, and avoid further irritation and don't poke it again.

In the case of shingles also, people manage it at home with OTC pain meds and wait for recovery. Overall, I don't see any reason to rush, just give it a few days and see how is it going.

Take care

Doctor: Dr. Shah, Doctor replied 23 days ago

Do you have any follow-up question for me? If not, please leave a positive rating by clicking stars on your screen so that I can get the credit for my time with you.

take care

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
I actually didn’t feel okay to wait. I saw my doctor this morning and she said it is either shingles or a staph infection and prescribed a cream right away as well as sent a culture off after swabbing my face and gave me a prescription for valtrex as well.

I think you made a right decision. As I indicated in my previous reply, if it is infection, then antibiotics would be required. You just have to wait for the culture report to get confirmation. Valtrex would take care of it if it's a shingles.

I hope you get better soon.

Take care.

Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor