Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

How doe you help an elderly person get his taste buds

Customer Question
How doe you help...

How doe you help an elderly person get his taste buds working.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

High blood pressure primarily.

Doctor's Assistant: When was last time you had a check up? Is there a history of high blood pressure in your family?

Have had several check ups. Regular dr. visits

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Doctors know everything about him. He's 93.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
4/1/2018
Doctor: Dr. A, Board Certified MD replied 3 months ago
Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD

Hi, my name is***** am an ENT physician and I will be assisting you today.

Has this person had any upper respiratory issues recently? Any colds? Allergies?

Any radiation therapy to the head/neck region? Any recent head/neck surgeries or ear surgeries?

Any exposure to certain chemicals like insecticides?

Any dental problems?

No to the first three questions. There may be a cavity in a molar

I see. The person likely needs to undergo a taste assessment that can usually be done with your local ENT. Unfortunately, as we age we often lose taste buds, which is usually irreversible. The taste assessment will help to figure out which tastes exactly are missing. Good oral hygiene is also important as cavities can cause issues with taste too, so see your dentist.

If you lose some or all of your sense of taste, here are things you can try to make your food taste better:

• Prepare foods with a variety of colors and textures.
  • Use aromatic herbs and hot spices to add more flavor; however, avoid adding more sugar or salt to foods.
  • If your diet permits, add small amounts of cheese, bacon bits, butter, olive oil, or toasted nuts on vegetables.
  • Avoid combination dishes, such as casseroles, that can hide individual flavors and dilute taste.

Hope that helps.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I would greatly appreciate it if you could give me a 5-star rating for my service today. Thanks!