Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Just diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia in the ER, they…

Customer Question
Just diagnosed with trigeminal...

Just diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia in the ER, they only gave me Vicodin for pain, and it doesn’t stop the pain. What can I do to ease this excruciating pain?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have they been using Vicodin? Any allergies to medications or other substances?

No. Just a day (since the ER)

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in their medical history you think the doctor should know?

Started as a tooth ache, I thought. So we performed a root canal, and X-rays. Then ER did a brain MRI to rule out tumor or MS.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/1/2018
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 3 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Thank you. I need to know what I can do to stop the pain, and who to see next. Etc. This pain is excruciating

I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

You may need to consult a neurologist.

You may take Motrin with Vicodin.

But you would need prescription medications for it;

1) carbamazepine is the drug of choice / first line drugs.

2) Gabapentin

3) Lamotrigine (Lamictal)

4) Phenytoin

5) Baclofen

6) Adjunct treatments; mechanical, electrical, and thermal stimuli can modify pain. Self-adhesive bandages may also be used.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Do you know who would be able to prescribe any of those on Easter Sunday or what else I can do to rid the pain? It is unbearable
Doctor: Connie Pennington,
 replied 3 months ago
Connie Pennington

Hello. I am Dr. Pennington. I am sorry you are in pain.

Trigeminal neuralgia is a hand-full. You have had a good work up.

You need to see a physician to get prescription medications. Any ER doc/walk in clinic doctor can prescribe you Tegretol or Neurotin, which will help.

You need to see a neurologist for this problem, which is near impossible on Easter Sunday.

Some people need a posterior fossa decompression to ease the pain. This surgery is performed by a neurosurgeon.

I am sorry this has happened to you.

Can I assist you in any other way?

Thank you Dr. Connie. Is there anything I can do at home to ease the pain? I really feel like I’m being stung every 2 seconds.
Thank you!
Doctor: Connie Pennington,
 replied 3 months ago

That is classic tic doloreaux, or trigeminal neuralgia. I am so sorry.

Try to avoid triggers--like brushing teeth, sipping hot beverages (coffee), sometimes even talking.

People with true tic can become suicidal the pain is so severe. Please seek attention as the prescription medications for nerve pain really do work. Pain medications--like opioids, usually do not work. An ER doc can help with those scripts, and pharmacies are open today for a while.