Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

What is the overall re-occurrence rate for Triple Negative…

Customer Question
What is the overall re-occurrence...
What is the overall re-occurrence rate for Triple Negative breast cancer? If you have specifics, this one had a lumpectomy, clear margins, none in lymph nodes. What are the chances of re-occurrence after chemo and radiation?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
4/1/2018
Doctor: Dr. K., MD replied 3 months ago
Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I looking forward to assisting you with your question and providing excellent service. The overall recurrence is about 1/3 women. Most recurrences occur within 3 years At the 5 year mark, recurrence is less likely and more closely approximates other types of breast cancer. The five year survival is about 75% overall for TN breast cancer
I am not asking for specifics and know you cannot predict the future. However it was caught early, the tumor was 1.2 centimeters, surgery got clear margins, no spreading in lymph nodes. What I understand is very aggressive chemo and radiation are in the future. Is that combination enough to lower that rate, in your opinion?
Doctor: Dr. K., MD replied 3 months ago
The statistics I noted above are for those who have had treatment. Yes of course treatment lowers the rate of recurrence which would be Much higher without. I’m sorry but its a much worse prognosis than other breast cancers. A 1.2 cm tumor is not caught early. Its best to talk to your oncologist about accurate figures as he or she has more information