Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

A friend of mine was taken to the ER at our local hospital 3…

Customer Question
A friend of mine...

A friend of mine was taken to the ER at our local hospital 3 days ago with " massive" blood clots in his lungs. He was sent home late last night with a Rx. He WAS told that he SHOULD BE in ICU, but their ICU was full,....and that he wasn't an emergency.??????

Doctor's Assistant: When was your friend prescribed this medication? How severe were any side effects?

Evidentially last night. He is my son's girlfriend's father. She doesn't like talking about the state he's in. I think it frightens her to think and talk about it. I'm assuming the Rx was a blood thinner.

Doctor's Assistant: Has he seen a doctor about the bleeding?

Not until he developed his hard to breathe symptoms 3 days ago. That's when he was taken to the ER. I do know he had a knee replacement surgery right around Christmas. I asked his daughter if they had told him to at least take baby aspirin after his surgery, she said no

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in his medical history you think the doctor should know?

Not that I've been told. I know he has back problems.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
4/1/2018
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 3 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Ok, will be waiting

Massive pulmonary embolism warrant at least 48 hours of admission in ICU.

He should be in a medical facility.

So he may try to get admitted again even if he does not have significant symptoms presently.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

They TOLD him at the hospital, before they sent him home that he SHOULD BE in ICU, but that that their ICU was full, so they sent him home rather than keep him there to watch him.
We're beginning to feel like they just sent him home to die. If he was ALREADY in the hospital, with such severe blood clots in his lungs, why not keep him, just in case they moved.

It is difficult to understand the behaviour of hospital people.

But as we have discussed, he may find another bigger medical facility (hospital attached to medical school), where he can be monitored.

Once the anticoagulants are started, chance of severe complications are lowered but still can occur and this cannot be left to be seen at home. Many times there is difficult in breathing which may require oxygen or even ventilator for assisted breathing.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Stay blessed.