Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Just under a week ago, I was in the ER diognosed with kidney…

Customer Question
Just under a week...

Just under a week ago, I was in the ER diognosed with kidney stones... since then nothing has happened as far as them passing, I have an appt with a urologist this coming week... my question is , I live alone and what should I do if my stone starts to pass and I’m in pain( too much to bear) I’ve read so many horror stories about these and I’m just so nervous. What do I do if I feel I’m gonna pass out from the pain?

Doctor's Assistant: When did the pain begin? Have they used any medication for it?

It started early am this past Monday, I’m on antibiotics for an infection and tamsolosin for 10 days. Since Monday I haven’t had any more pain but I just fear it’s coming, im hoping I get to the urologist before anything happens

Doctor's Assistant: Have they used anything besides Tamsulosin for this?

No nothing else besides the antibiotics. I was given Norco as well if needed

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in their medical history you think the doctor should know?

No, nothing else at all

Submitted: 19 days ago.Category: Medical
4/1/2018
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 19 days ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

If there is pain during passage of stone; you can take Norco. You can also take Motrin which relaxes ureter and help in facilitating the passage.

Pain sometimes can be severe but analgesics definitely help.

There are no other issues involved, so there is no worry.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
Last question... if I start having pain, do I need to go back to the ER? Sometimes I’m home alone and I have heard many horror stories about the pain they cause and some people say they have almost passed out from the pain. I’m just nervous about it.

The stories on the forum can be exaggerated. Usually when pain comes, it is mild to moderate. Rarely it can be severe or excruciating; than it is amenable to the analgesics. So keep pain releivers in home. Also pain is never sudden. It builds up slowly.

I can assure, it is exceedingly rare to cause passing off.

Wishing you a speedy recovery and resolution.

" I sincerely hope that I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 18 days ago

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Stay blessed.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor