Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have had Reoccurring bc for almost a year I used the

Customer Question
I have had Reoccurring...

I have had Reoccurring bc for almost a year I used the hydrogen peroxide and my vagina is wet but no odor or color just thin white discharge after the peroxide I insert a probiotic up there I’m having to wipe often down there

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the issue? Are you in any pain?

Like it started last tour in jun I have took antibiotics it go away and come back I’m not in any pain though

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Year.

Submitted: 19 days ago.Category: Medical
Customer reply replied 19 days ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 19 days ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 1 day by:
4/1/2018
Doctor: Dr. J, Board Certified MD replied 18 days ago
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified MD

Hi there. Board-certified obgyn here.

May I ask how old you are?

Are you currently using hormones or anything to prevent pregnancy?

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
I’m 25 I’ve been off bc for years but I did get my cycle this morning so i don’t know if the hydrogen worked plus I was inserting probiotics up there

I would stop inserting hydrogen peroxide up there. The peroxide works by completely removing any moisture from (thus completely drying out) the area. The vagina is supposed to have some moisture in it (those are our natural secretions which protect the vagina from any foreign bacteria that might cause infection or imbalances) and when you eliminate that moisture, you disrupt the normal environment of the vagina.

Inserting probiotics is fine (I like the vaginal inserts made by the company RepHresh, found over the counter) but again I would avoid the probiotics.

I also recommend the following to help soothe the vagina and promote vaginal health:

- No tub baths, just showers. No feminine hygiene washes, sprays, or fancy soaps. Just an unscented Dove bar and let soapy water run over the area.

- No shaving. The point of the hair is to also, protect you, and "trap" foreign bacteria before it can invade.

- Leave your underwear off at night to let oxygen circulate.

- Use unscented for sensitive skin laundry detergent on your underwear.

- No thong underwear. Just plain cotton underwear. Also try to avoid tightly fitted leggings/jeans, or at least change out of such clothes when you get home into looser fitting pants.

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
I do shave my private area by maybe I should stop but everything else u mention I have tried the hydrogen did give me relief tho I’m not sure if it’s go away since my cycle is on what do u think about boric acid?

Boric acid suppositories are fine. You can even get them on Amazon. Just be careful because they are poisonous if taken by mouth, so keep out of reach of small children/animals etc.

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
if the bv is still occuring what do I use to get rid of bv permanently?
Doctor: Dr. J, Board Certified MD replied 17 days ago

Besides what we've already discussed, we may have to figure out what's triggering the imbalance of bacteria in the vagina.

Cutting out processed sugars (soda, sweets, processed carbs) has really made a huge change for a lot of my patients.

You may also just need a prolonged course of Flagyl (the medication we prescribe for BV). Sometimes I'll have patients take a 6-month long course of it.

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
I have been on this raw veggie and fruit diet for 4 wks now I can’t tell u the last time I ate sugar it’s very frustrating because I don’t know what’s going on I think me taking the antibiotics made it’s worse now it’s like I can’t get rid of it

Perhaps instead of taking probiotics vaginally, you could take them orally? Activia yogurt is a great way to replenish the healthy bacteria in the vagina. You could also try taking oral probiotics for the vagina. RepHresh makes one.

Barring all that, it may be time to let another doc take a look at you down there to make sure BV is the problem, and not something else.

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
I’ve took activia for 2 wks to! I might have to go back and have them check it out every time I go it’s just the bv issue

Try the over the counter RepHresh products. There's a lot to choose from.

Customer reply replied 12 days ago
How do you recommend using boric acid inserts?
Doctor: Dr. J, Board Certified MD replied 10 days ago

Boric acid 600mg inserted vaginally at bedtime for 21 days. It can be deadly if consumed by mouth so store it in a safe place. Can be found on amazon.com.

Works best if you precede the vaginal boric acid therapy with 7 days of the Flagyl (metronidazole) oral therapy.

Dr. J
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified MD