Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

About the term affects of Benadryl for children. Inquiring…

Customer Question
I’m Inquiring about the...

I’m Inquiring about the long term affects of Benadryl for children

Doctor's Assistant: How long have the children been using Benadryl? Has it helped at all?

Inquiring about the long term affects of Benadryl for children

Doctor's Assistant: Have they seen a doctor about this?

No

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in their medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have a Suspicion that is being used as a sleep paid for young child constantly

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
3/31/2018
Doctor: Dr.Saleem, Doctor replied 3 months ago
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

Well benadryl is basically diphenhydramine . Longterm use can result in following side effects ;

Getting addictive to the drug ,finding it hard to sleep without it.

People who take Benadryl for extended periods of time may experience low blood pressure ,heart palpitations and other abnormalities of heart rhythm.

Mental issues like impaired cognition , inability to focus or even memory problems .

I hope it answers your query.

Let me know if you have any more queries.

Please reward credit for the consult by clicking 5 stars in rating corner of your page if you are satisfied.

Stay blessed.

Regard

It’s being given to a 4 yr old, which there are no signs of needing it, none of those systems exist for the usage

These systems are there in babies even as they grow up their body develops and matures which includes brain maturation .

I am sorry i couldnt understand your last post

These are longterm effects that may not be immediately evident ,so if a kid is being given benadryl without any indication just for putting him / her to sleep then it can cause addiction as the body gets used to it

I meant symptoms

Yes these symptoms appear after longterm use ,may be later in the life if the child is given benadryl for sleep for long duration